A difficult decision.....

I have a 5 year old son that is in preschool right now and the school he is attending don't want to let him pass to Kindergarten because of his Learning Disabilities and Developmental Delays. They want to do more test on him to see were he stands but still keep him in preschool even though he's not that behind of the other children and I wouldn't mind letting them hold him back if he really necessary need to be but he keeps up just find just cant speak as well as the others but has improved tremendously another problem is if I let the school hold him back in PS he will be in the same class as his little sister coming this fall and she is very smart scored one of the highest at her preschool screening and alway's corrects her brother and they are competitive now it would just make it worst wouldn't it if they were together in a class? Should I let them hold my son back cause of his LD and DD? when he keeps up just fine...

Mamma0506

Asked by Mamma0506 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask them to send him ahead. If he has to repeat a grade I think it should be 1st or 2nd, IMO it is betetr to repeat a grade that has more teaching and not as much playing. And as for his sister, maybe different classrooms?
    Anonymous

• iF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT THAT ITS IMPOIRTANT TO HOLD HIM BACK THEN THIS WOULD BE A BETTER TIME THAN AFTER THEY ARE IN GRADE SCHOOL. SHE MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO HELP HIM STAY ON TRACK IF THEY WERE IN THE SAME GRADE TO START OFF WITH THAN FOR HIM TO FALL BACK WHEN IT WILL MATTER MORE TO HIM.
    Anonymous

• see thats what I thought and the school said they are hiring a specialist to come work with kids like him for an hour a day and I asked why they couldn't do that in kindergarten and they couldn't answer me, and the school is so small there are only like 200 kids in the hole school K-12 and only one class room for each grade so him and his sis would be together. I have also thought about taking my kid to a better educated school for a second opinion..Also at this school its who you know and who you are on how your child gets treated and even though I'm not from here my fiance is and was known as a trouble maker:(
    Mamma0506

Answer by Mamma0506 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• does he have an IEP?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• No.... our school dosnt have anything like that or do anything like that but I wish they did... he is a little boy that has a short term memory problem like he can count to ten one minute you turn a round and ask him in 5 to 10 minutes and he can't do it but if you ask a couple hours later he can, it's the same with colors and he has been in speech therapy since last year before he even started preschool and there are somethings you still cant understand...
    Mamma0506

Answer by Mamma0506 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• is it a public school system?
    if it is, then by law they have to....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• yes its a public school and can a school keep my little man from going to kindergarten?
    Mamma0506

Answer by Mamma0506 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• In addition to the school, I would consult with your son's therapist and doctor to see what they recommend. You want him to get the best start possible, and if waiting a year will make it easier for him to be successful in school, then I would wait. I think it is much easier and less emotional to hold a child back early than it is to do it when they are older.

Unless the school is very small there should be more than one class for each grade. If there is more than one class you can specify that you don't want DS and DD in the same class.
    Anonymous

• does he recieve support services through the school (speech therapy etc)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You need an IEP and if you are in a US public school they need to do it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2010