Wedding on a budget!?

We're planning to get married, but we honestly don't have tons of money to have an elaborate wedding. We know our family would like to see us get married and have a small wedding instead of us going to a JP.

What are some ideas that we can do for a cheap wedding but still nice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• You can have a traditional wedding and make everything yourselves or have friends or family make or provide services including; your dress, flowers, photos, the cake, food, decorations. If people provide services that should be considered their gift to you.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It all depends on what your budget is, and how many people you plan to invite. Usually the biggest cost of a wedding is in the reception location, and the menu. That said, consider having a beach wedding, a park/arboretum wedding in spring when everything is in bloom, or some other scenic location. Have family and friends each bring a dish--pasta, chicken, roast beef/ham, vegetables, and mashed potatoes, are inexpensive, easy to prepare and transport and made in bulk. You can buy a sheet cake or small layer cake at a bakery, and have a friend decorate it or simply have your names and wedding date written on it and add your own fresh flowers and ribbon to it! Print your own invitations--right in Microsoft Word--you can buy stationary at larger craft or office supply stores. Make silk flower bouquets for yourself and your party, or carry a single rose. Buy liquor/champagne at state liquor stores to save money.
    cont.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can buy a pretty bridesmaid dress in champange color. You can get lots of pretty dresses for $100. Even look at prom dresses at department stores.
    Food costs alot at weddings. you can have finger foods and cake, or have family members get together and cook some roasts or ham to save $.
    Keep decorations simple, get married outside..lots of ways to cut corners.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had a budget wedding and honestly you never would have noticed. What kind of budget do you have? We used our tax refunds to pay for ours and I would allot a certain amount from each paycheck to buy supplies for decorations, I made as much as I could, bought the bridemaid dresses from penny's and my wedding dress I got at a penny's outlet and paid for it with giftcards my grandparents gave me for christmas. we made all the table decorations and favors, my candle I just added a applique to a tall white candle, all the pew bows and flowers my mom and i made. My mom and dad paid for my flowers we used a nice restaurant that rented ballrooms and the price $2000 included my cake, food for 100 people, dj, bar etc. Our church was amazing it cost me $200 and I had to bring my own pastor and music it was an old church in the middle of a cemetary with amazing ceilings and stained glass so wortht he creep factor lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Also draw upon those around you who are talented or have access to things at a lower price, my dads best friend was able to get table cameras for us at a steal and all he wanted in return was this boxed Nascar diecast that you could only get as an employee of my moms work. There are many ways to save money and cut deals to have a dream wedding on minimal money.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Have a friend compile your favorite songs on a CD, and play it over a simple sound system. Hire a Justice of the Peace to perform your ceremony, and make it about you and your fiance. Invite only those people who really want to share in your day! CHeck out David's Bridals online or in store for dress specials--$99 sales happen pretty regularly! Same for bridesmaid's dresses. And gifts from family and friends can be their contribution to making your day happen--food, decorations, flowers, etc. Maybe inquire if they have any friends in the "industry" who will give you a special price break on the essentials--like the cake, flowers, dress, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My nephew and his wife had a very simple, budget-friendly wedding, and it was well planned and very fun! The invitations and RSVP cards were hand made- very creative and cute!! What they did was they had their wedding in a park, they had a JP perform the ceremony. They had a friend play an instrument and another sing- and that was the music. Her flowers and the flowers they used to make an aisle were bought fresh from the farmers market that morning. She wore a simple linen dress, he wore a suit. They had a friend take pictures, and they had disposable cameras for guests to use and take candid shots with. The reception was at the park, and they had picnic food (BBQ, grilled meat, potato salad, fruit salad.....). They did order a cake from the local bakery as well. Personally I think it was one of the nicest weddings I have been to-- it had traditional elements, but also very fun-- it was so 'them'!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Sam's club has reasonable flowers. you can just tie a ribbon around a few long stems and make bouquets.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My friend seriously had a very nice wedding for under a thousand bucks.
    Her dad is a Veteran so they were able to rent a VFW Hall for $50,there was a full kitchen in there. All her family and friends pitched and did likea pot luck time style buffet.
    They were married in a small Baptist family church and the preacher did it for free. The only flowers that they had was her bouquet. We helped decorate the hall with streamers and balloons.
    All the bridesmades dresses were found in brand new consition from a Salvation Army store...and they were only $6 a piece!
    The only 2 real spurges they made were her wedding dress...which still was only $300 and her dad bought the cake which was $200.

It really was a special and nice event. Oh yeah...and her husbands family is talented in playing music and singing, so they came and sang for free! lol
    Where there is a will there is a way! Congratualtions!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• also check out www.orientaltrading.com they have a great selection of inexpensive supplies for weddings, they have a whole wedding catalog you can request.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2010