Toddler bed...what to do what to do...

We switched my son to a toddler bed. It's his third day. It's not going well. He has been crying for about a hour before falling asleep. Nap time isn't going well. We laid my son down for a nap and he cried for 15 minutes before the neighbor started pounding on the wall. So I went over to her house and knocked and rang the door bell to explain to her we moved him to a toddler bed but she wouldn't answer her door. So questions are, how to make going into a toddler bed easier and how to get the neighbor to understand that little ones cry sometimes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did your son have any say in the bedding, or accessories in his room? Can you place some of his favorite things in his room or on his bed, that are known to be comforting to him? Do you prepare him for his nap or bedtime by announcing it is time for bed in "X minutes?!" Have you tried reading him a favorite story, and letting him settle in, fall asleep while you are there? Can you play some soft lullaby music?  Does he have a nightlight in his room, or can you leave his door slightly open?

Young children need reassurance and some segue time to shift from play time to sleep time.  Whatever you decide to do, it should be consistent and not rushed.  Address his fears, and I think you'll have a happier, well rested child in the end!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• omg, i wish i had answers for you. i did what you did with my twins, i let them cry...but we don't share walls with our neighbors. my dd would cry for two hours sometimes! ds usually slept right through it. it only took two weeks though. sorry about the neighbor :(
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Oh, and to heck with the neighbor--that's what happens when you live in close proximity to one another!! Don;t worry about her, just focus on your child. After all, it's not a crime for a child to cry because they don;t want to do something--what's she gonna do, call the police?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Maybe the neighbor was trying to nap too and didnt want to answer the door i am sure if you explain the situation they would understand unless they are just rude.Just keep going with the toddler bed...it will take time.I have a 2 year old it took about a week or so for the change to connect with him...Good Luck
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 4:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• what about a special toy/bedtime toy? nightlight? do you have a routine to help out? How old is he? he doesn't need to cry himself to sleep either.. you can go in there and let him know its ok... or reward him in the am for sleeping in his bed all night and then remind him of the reward each night.. we have a fan as white noise for him and it makes the house noises get drowned out.. or maybe soft music? however when his cd player turns off it clunks so that's not an option for us.. sometimes it helps if I let him sleep with my jacket or a shirt of mine or even my pillow, he still wakes in the middle of the night since we put him in the toddler bed 6 months ago but sometimes those items help put him back to bed easier.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Little ones cry sometimes? I don't think so. I would never make a child lie in a bed crying. I hold my grandson until he falls asleep and hold him his whole nap. Not everyone thinks it's ok to let kids cio. Your neighbor may think it is neglect and call cps. If I was your neighbor and heard a child cio for an hour I would consider calling cps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• are you sure your lo is ready? I transitioned my son to a bed when he started getting antsy in his crib, because he didnt like the confinement of the rails anymore. to make the transition easier I moved his musical crib toy which attaches to the sides and attached it to the bed rails. I also let him bring toys into his room. That way if he isnt quite tired he can quietly play with his toys, or read a book and go back to bed. And your neighbor will have to get over the fussing! You can't help it, and neither can your son!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• He is a little over two. The first night he got in and fell right asleep. The second night was harder. We laid on the floor next to him, made sure his favorite toys are in there, rock him, read him stories. As soon as we leave the room he starts crying again. She can call CPS if she wants, I love my son to more than anything, and I have nothing to hide. Kids DO cry Gailll. Even when you try to do everything right.
    Anonymous

• For starters, who gives a crap what your neighbors think. If she wants, let her file a complaint and make herself look like a heartless idiot.

As for the bed, I had similar problems when my daughter got her first toddler bed. The only way I could get her to sleep in it is when she had already fallen asleep somewhere else and I moved her to it lol. After a while I got rid of it and ended up just getting her a "real" full size bed and I put plenty of pillows and stuffed animals in with her. That totally changed everything and she never gave me a single problem again. I am not saying to get rid of your bed, just telling you what worked for me.

If I could give you any other advice, it would be to maybe extend your bedtime routine a little bit longer than normal. Read an extra story, sing a couple of extra songs, ect ect.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I'm sorry I got to thinking and wanted to add something.. if by "crying it out" you mean that you let them sit there for a whole hour without checking on him, then maybe every 15 mins or so just go in there and give him a hug and kiss and reassure him that you are still there and it is safe to fall asleep. That is what the whole fear of a new bed is. It's something unfamiliar to them and they need to feel safe and comfortable
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2010