Gallstones?

I have had as many as 15 attacks, and I do believe it's gallstones. For every one of these attacks I have gone to the ER. But they won't admit me for it. They say nothing shows up in my blood work. I have these pains that are so unbearable it's right under my right rib and through to my back, sometimes it makes me puke, and when this does happen the pain usually goes away. This all started in 2008. Only once they have given me pain meds, other times they send me home with maalox. I know that the greasy foods cause this I have cut them out of my diet, I haven't had an attack for about 2mos. I really don't want to have another attack, Do you think I should see my Dr. for this so I can have gallbladder surgery? Do they really have to admit you if your blood work comes back positive for gallstones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Health

• I had my gallbladder removed. Yes, I went to my primary doctor and he gave me a referral to the hospital to get an ultrasound and I don't remember if I had to have blood work, but on the ex-ray from the ultrasound it showed that I had a huge gall stone. Then I had to go for an appointment with the surgeon who would be removing my gallbladder and we set up the surgery date at that time. Now they have a new way of doing surgery it's three small incisions and I stayed in the hospital over night for observation and then I was released. I have been doing much better since the surgery.
    Anonymous

• See your doctor and ask for an ultrasound, that is how they found mine. I was told i had the flu and before that i was told i had IBS but when the pain was constant and wouldnt go away a nurse actually said i needed the ultrasound and less than week later my doctor had me in surgery.

Please go see your doctor and ask for the ultrasound it can become toxic and kill you if left untreated. You will still have to watch your foods after its out. I and other have found that a gluten free diet is the best course of action for those of us who have lingering problems after surgery.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I never had bloodwork to confirm my stones. I had horrible attacks all thru my first pregnancy and for months afterwards. Several ER trips and even MRI's with lousy doctors had them stumped (despite the fact I later learned the MRI tech wrote "GALLSTONES" on the MRI itself)! It took a friend at work to say "sounds like gallstones" to get me calling my doctor and saying "I think I have gallstones" they brought me in for an ultrasound which showed my gallbladder was a solid mass of stones. I was scheduled for surgery the next day.

That was just over 5 years ago, and one thing many who have their gallbladders removed have to deal with is something called "Bile Salt Diarrhea" stomach cramps and horrible diarrhea pretty much daily for no rhyme or reason. Some foods trigger it sometimes nothing does, not everyone experiences this "side-effect" but I do, I don't have it daily now, maybe a few times a month....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• ...My aunt had hers removed over 20 years ago and she still has the Bile Salt Diarrhea DAILY (sorry for typos, my laptop keys stick). I don't mean mentioning this to scare you, but I sure wish my doctor had told me about this possibility when I had the surgery, I'm not exactly sure which is better, attacks or the diarrhea.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Mom2jack04 I had mine out 5 years ago and had the same problems i still do on occasion so did a friend of mine, both of us saw doctor after doctor looking for a solution, she finally found a doctor who told her to stop eating anything froma box or can. About the same time i went on a all out change in eating habits and stuck to lean meat and produce. I was telling her how the problems had almost stopped then she told me about taking gluten out of her diet and we both found that the gluten was a huge Key in reducing the problems we were having. It might be worth a try for you just to see if it makes a difference.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had problems for years before the idiot doctors figured out it was gallstones. Several ER visits and 3 other hospitalizations for dehydration from vomiting for weeks. I had to have surgery and was in the hospital for over a week because I was in such bad shape. You can have your gall bladder removed as an op. It took me about a month to recover from the surgery.

It's been 2 years and I've had no problems since. No special diet or anything.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yea the ER docs are also horrible, as i've come to find out myself. thanks ladies for the info. I'm going to my dr. tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• x-ray, ct scan, &/or ultrasounds should show gallstones. Hida/Kinevac test for function of gallbladder.

I have had several attacks. However, I have no visible gallstones and my gallbladder is functioning at 66%. So they will not take mine out. I now have almost constant pain in my right side just under my ribs. My gyno thinks it may be endometriosis causing the attacks. I'm having a colonoscopy this week to rule anything intestinal out. Then possibly exploratory surgery.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I have never heard of blood work to detect gallstones. I had an ultrsound and a CAT scan to find mine.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• my idiot dr. kept telling me my gallstone attacts were anxiety. then i went in to the E.R. and he palpatated my stomach. it hurt where he pressed and then he scheduled an ultra-sound. i did have some problems before and after with diarrea but as long as i eat whole grain ceral for breakfast and or drink one - two slimfasts a day my bowel movements are normal.
    Anonymous