Should we replace the birth of Christ to date time with a different system?

Some adherents of other religions and some non-believers feel that basing the dating system on the life of Jesus Christ is a form of bias towards the Christian religion. Anno Domini is sometimes referred to as the Common Era (or Christian Era, or Current Era, abbreviated as C.E. or CE). CE and BCE (Before the Common Era) are often preferred by those who desire a dating system not explicitly related to the Christian religion. However, despite the different names, the dating scheme remains the same. One possible alternative dating system is the Holocene calendar in which the year 1 HE (Holocene/Human Era) is 10,000 BC, the approximate date of the beginning of human civilization. You simply add 10,000 to the current AD year to get the HE year. Thus, 2010 AD is 12010 HE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sure why not?
    Oddly enough as a child I thought the change over from BC to AD referred to the fall of the Roman Empire.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 12:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• u mean like Central Time? lol That way I don't miss the rapture if God recognizes time zones!
    Anonymous

• I like tradition so I'll stick to B.C. but if makes people feel better to write B.C.E. it doesn't bother me, I still read it as B.C.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• its been this way for ever but it will change again after the return of Jesus I am sure.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• In most texts I see BCE and CE used. I realize now that there are religious connotations to it, but as a child I had no clue what BC and AD actually stood for. I certainly don't feel discriminated against as a non-Christian by using those forms of dating. After all, many months are named for Roman Emperors and some days of the week are named for Pagan gods and goddesses... fine by me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• no you just have to get over it and undestand Jesus came and changed our course.
    Anonymous

• much ado about nothing
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 4:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The last couple of years I have been conditioned to BCE, CE and BP. I have to think about to use BC/AD.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2010