How many ounces of formula should a 6 month old eat? My son eats 2 eight ounce bottles a day plus Gerber oatmeal or ceriel. With a scoop of formula in it in morning and before bed and a small jar of baby food for dinner. My mom got it I my head that he isn't getting enough nutrients. What do you all think?

JenniferDeBaun

Asked by JenniferDeBaun at 5:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine was getting 5-6 bottles a day (8oz) and solids AFTER a bottle if she wanted it. THey get their nutrients from the formula or breast milk and their bodies are not effectively breaking down solids at this age to get enough of the nutrients
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• 36-48 ounces a day is what he should be having. the food is just for learning,not so much for nutrition. Your mom is right.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Baby should be getting between 26 and 36 ounces a day... The baby will get everything it needs from the formula. PP is right, offer baby food and other foods after formula.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Until 12 months an ave. baby sould get 32 ounces a day. Formula or breastmilk needs to remain the main source of nutrition for the first year for adequate brain growth.

A 6 mo doesn't need baby cereal or jar food and can feed himself fork mashed regular food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• that doesnt seem like much at all! in my opinion. i would talk to his pedi about that. you are his mother, and you know best, but you may want to get a professional opinion. that really doesnt seem like much at all
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 5:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Only 2 bottles per day does not sound like enough. Most sources recommend 24-32oz. of breastmilk and/or formula and then as little/much solids as baby would like at this age.

Anonymous

• My doctors pediatrician had recommended to me that the minumum my daughter shoul dhave been getting at that age was 24 ounces a day to grow...and that is with no extra food. (thats the equivilant to 3- 8 ounce bottles a day) I was worried about her not eating enough at one point so thats why I had that conversation with him.
    Before my daughter turned 1, she was getting a 6 ounce a.m. bottle about 10 a.m.,a 6 ounce bottle at 1 p.m., a 6 ounce bottle between 4-5 pm, and an 8 ounce bottle before bed, around 8 pm.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Your mom is right.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Two bottles of formula a day for a 6 month old? That sounds like WAY too little! He should be getting mostly formula, probably double the amount he is getting.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Your mom is waaaay right. Breastmilk or formula is what a baby needs for brain development - the food you & I eat does not have the same nutrients that breastmilk or formula has. You are hurting your baby's development by only giving 16 ounces of formula.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010