My son keeps bitting me ...

He just turned one he has both top teeth and a side one and both bottom teeth. He lays his head on me then turns around and bites me hard. I tell him NO very firm but he keeps doing it... I don't want to smack him or anything my friend suggested time out and I think it may work but does he understand at 12 months why I'm putting him in time out and he will just cry and crawl away... Help

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 6:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my sons did the same to me...they would often leave bruises and red marks--with teeth imprints in my skin!! Both of my sons were also had strong oral fixations--they discovered their world by putting everything in their mouths--now, I think it was their "testing" their new chompers and forgetting that it hurts when biting mommy!! Never bit their daddy....hmmmmmmm...maybe I weened them too early?! LOL

They eventually learned to chew on appropriate chew/teething toys. A friend told me to do what some breastfeeding moms do when their little ones start to bite rather than latch properly--to tap their noses and firmly say "no biting!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Thank you that sound like more of my style I'm don't like hitting so a tap on the nose and a firm no bitting is great thanks. ;)
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 6:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I always used a firm voice, both my boys were biters. It hurts. Babys should never be hit.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Bite him back. Doesnt even have to be hard................it will shock him and he won't do it anymore.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Oh please don't bite back! That is horrible advice. Tell him no and put him in "time out" by taking him off our lap and putting him on the floor. He wants to be on your lap so you want him to associate biting with not getting to be in your lap.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• NEVER bite a baby. What is wrong with TheDiva320?

I agree that your baby is just needing something to bite. Provide lots of teethers. Anticipate and avoid getting bit. The way I look at it if you know you have a baby that bites and you get bit it's your fault for not avoiding it. No punishing, no yelling, no firm talk, no hitting, no tapping. There is no way a 12 month old would know what a time out is and it could be devasting.

People on cm that don't want to say they are hitting their kids call it tapping. It's a code word.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• PLEASE don't bite back... all that teaches is "if you do it then i will too..."
    Tell him no fimrly without a raised vioce (even if the bite hurt), set him away from your body and offer him another chewing activity: a teether, ice cubes (broke super small), etc...
    JenniferRose09

Answer by JenniferRose09 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Offering your baby a teething toy might also be another option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2010