Breastfeeding & Caffein?

I don't drink hot coffee, but I do enjoy a cold blended coffee drink every once in a while. I went to McDonalds to try their new Mocha Frappe, its amazing!! I loved it so much, but I am concerned with the amount of caffein in it. Is is okay to consume a small size and still nurse afterwards? If not, how long should I wait to nurse for the caffein to not affect my son?

Thank you ladies for your responses.

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 6:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Enjoy! You can breastfeed right after. There are no RULES against it. Most moms can drink 2 or even more a day and notice no difference in the baby. Of course you don't want to have 20 a day.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I personally have avoided caffeine altogether, so would say none is ok. It can take a good while to be out of your system too and skipping a feed will be useless.
    Anonymous

• Most breastfeeding moms can have a couple of cups of coffee a day and see no effect. Some babies are very sensitive to it. It also depends on how old your baby is. Give it a try and if baby seems fine then it is fine! Lots of great info/details at breastfeeding and caffiene

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It all depends on the kid and how sensitive they are to it. Some moms can drink two or more coffees a day and have no problems, others can drink one small coffee and their babies become very fussy and have trouble sleeping. I would start out slowly, see how he reacts, and if he doesn't seem to have a problem...you know the amount you had was safe. I wouldn't recommend drinking TONS per day...but the mocha frappe is honestly most milk/cream, chocolate, etc... so you're probably not getting much actual espresso anyway. Frappes are mostly full of sugar and sometimes ice cream with a shot of coffee for flavor. An iced LATTE is more coffee, and straight espresso is the strongest. If he does have an issue and you only want it for the taste...I'm sure you can find somewhere who can do decaf or half caf for your frappes and it'll likely taste the same since there's so much other stuff in there.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Ugh, those frappe's are sinful and have so much carbs and sugar >.< But i drink them anyways.. it really depends on the child but if thats the only caffine you consume a day then it won't matter that much..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 7:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• So far, I have had coffee while nursing. I've nursed two, more than a year each. Didn't seem to cause any trouble, but I suppose each baby is different and yours could be very sensitive to caffeine. I'd watch to see if Baby reacts.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Both of my son's were very sensitive to caffine so I avoided it altogether while breastfeeding. I would just go by how your baby reacts.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 8:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• The best thing to do would be to watch your baby and see if they have a reaction to the caffeine. Most babies do not especially considering the small amount that actually passes through the milk.
    A blended drink from McDonalds has very small amounts of real coffee in it anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I think its ok to BF after drinking it, i would watch how your baby reacts to it. My son doesnt have any reaction to it but I also dont drink anything w/caffine too often. I drink water juice & lots of milk.
    marinesweetie

Answer by marinesweetie at 11:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2010