Grass clippings around garden plants?

I heard somewhere, that when you mow your lawn you can lay the grass clippings in and between your plants in your garden and it will keep the weeds out? Has anyone ever tried this? Does hay do the same thing?
I have dandelions in my yard...so it those get chopped up with the grass will I get dandelions between my plants?
Does anyone know what I can put down between plants that would ward off weeds???

sandypops

Asked by sandypops at 7:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• my dad did that with the grass clippings after us kids got too busy to do the weeding for him. it didn't stop all of the weeding for him, but it did help. he has his own compost bins and uses mulch now. you shouldn't have to worry about grass sprouting, you are just putting the tips in your garden. you shouldn't have to worry about the dandelions unless you mow them when they have gone to seed. i pull the dandelions from my yard after they flower, but before they go to seed.
    i believe hay or straw would do the same thing, suppress the weeds.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You probaly would get dandelions I dont think i would use grass myself, be afraid grass would sprout to. I mostly use mulch, wait for it to go on sale & get a bunch. I do also use pinestraw that is free.
    Anonymous