Can your water brake before you dialate or even lose your plug?

Just wondering. Or if your doctor choses to can they brake your water to induce labor without you neing dialated or anything? And does losing your mucus plug have anythin to do with your water braking? Can it brake before you lose your plug?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my water broke at 34 weeks, and they gave me meds to induce and dialate but it didnt work so i had a csection.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I lost my mucous plug at 36 weeks and my water broke on my due date and I hadn't started to dilate yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• For your water to break and get out there has to be a way to get out. The plug seals the cervix. For water to get out you would have to loose your plug and have some dilation. Your bag can break and reseal and more water can be made.

For the doctor or midwife to break your water your plug has to be gone and you have to be dilated enough to get the hook up through the cervix to break the bag. Sometimes the bag will fall out a little through the dilated cervix and the doctor or midwife can break it without going through the cervix. Of course the baby can even be born in the bag.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• hmmm, the only plug i saw was for baby #2, my water broke, and when i went to the bathroom, the plug was in the toilet. i never noticed the plug with any others :)
    i had a friend that felt her water break after she started pushing, so fully dilated.
    personally, i am no fan of a dr. breaking the water to induce labor. i truly believe that the baby will come when he or she is ready. i believe breaking the water and stripping membranes leads to more problems than benefits.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My water broke completely at 29w6d without ANY warning, besides a "pop" sound. When I got to the hospital, I was not dialated at all. The tests at the 1st hospital confirmed it was my water (it was obvious), but when I was transferred to a Boston hospital, the initial tests came up negative and there was still no dialation. Fortunately, they did an ultrasound and saw that my dtr had no water surrounding her, so I had an emergency C-section.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010