This is probably a stupid question lol. Amazon.com?

OK, I've never ordered from Amazon before, or any of the vendors. I was on there today looking at a book that's out of print or something (that's what BAM employees have told me, at least) and saw that some vendors prices start at like $0.20+shipping. What's up with that? Why are some vendors selling things for less than a dollar (plus shipping)? The vendor had like over 150,000 ratings at like 95% positive, so I'm thinking of ordering from there. Just wondering if anyone will please enlighten me about these things lol.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Shopping

• MANY Amazon sellers are like those on Ebay, and so, the book you are looking for may be from someone's personal collection, and they can sell it as if it was being sold at a yard sale! Amazon warehouses and ships items on behalf of those sellers who have virtual "storefronts," and the more items a seller has, the cheaper the selling fees are for the seller. The seller may also be selling a number of items very cheaply, in the hopes you'll buy a few more items.

AND of course, price depends on condition of said item. The worse, the cheaper!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I have no idea but I have bought several 1 dollar books. My guess is that there isn't a demand and they just want to get rid of them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• The price usually depends on how damaged the book is. Kinda like ebay, just no bidding. Usually if it is a low price, the shipping will be high.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well, it's not an extremely popular book and there are tons of them on amazon for sale right now. I think the highest price I found was from Amazon, new for like $11. Shipping is like $4. Fairly standard from my experience with online buying (which is fairly limited, lol, but not non-existing).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Oh and I'm pretty sure it was listed as being in "New" condition.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yeah the one I bought were 'like new' or 'good' all came to me in fine used condition.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I buy tons of books on amazon for .01 + 3.99 shipping. I've never had a problem. Just watch for the shipping price. Standard shipping for a book is usually 3.99 but sometimes someone will list the book for .01 and then shipping for 8.99 or more.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Make sure you check out the shipping, the condition, etc. I have ordered from Amazon before and got some great deals. Just make sure you ask any questions you might have regarding the item.
    momof5inohio

Answer by momof5inohio at 11:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• They are likely used books, but I buy them all the time from amazon. I've sold several books on there, too. Just look at the seller ratings and try to pick a reliable seller. I find that sellers are truthful about the condition of the books.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2010