Advice for helping my 2 month old into a sleeping habit?

I want help my son to sleep through the night. I don't know if it's such a good idea though. I've read that you should let them do their own schedule. I've also read that waking them up from a nap and playing with them will make them more tired at night. I don't want to do anything that's bad for a baby and I honestly should have asked his doctor today but what's your advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be aware. Babywise feeding methods are linked to Failure To Thrive.

I understand wanting to sleep! We tried the Babywise sleep method here, along with all the rest....FAILURE. In fact, ALL methods do fail at an astonishing rate, otherwise moms would never have to ask how to get their babies to sleep. We'd all KNOW and there wouldn't be so much competition.

Want the real secret?

DO NOTHING.

See...sleep training only works when baby is READY to sleep more...and if baby is ready to sleep longer you don't HAVE to train him! It's not like teaching him to use the toilet. **smile**

Sleep training only makes you feel like you're doing something. In any event...experts on the subject say six months to do it at the earliest.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• playing with them is good. tummy time, and little arm & leg exercises. putting on soft music and dancing with them. putting on nick jr. stuff like that.
    as soon as my sons umbillical cord fell off, we started a bedtime routine. a warm bath with johnson & johnson help baby sleep better soap, & then lotion with help baby sleep better lotion, and a nice warm bottle. your also supposed to keep your night time feedings very darm & quiet, no real playing or talking. & keep day time feedings bright with noise & such.
    my son started sleeping through the night at 4 & hlf months old.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3 or older. It's hardwired in their brains. Babies are supposed to breastfeed and sleep with their mothers. That's what most babies do in most places in the world even today. Babies cry when they find they are alone to alert their mothers that they aren't next to them and could be in danger.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I didn't wake a sleeping baby. When my LO was 3 mos old we started onto a very regular routine. We had our bath at 10p.m. and our last feed between 1030 and 11 p.m. Then she would be out for about 12 hours. By the time she was 6 mos old she had scooted her own bedtime back to 9p.m, and scooted it back even further and goes to bed at 7p.m. since before her first birthday. She is almost 2. I wish you luck, but the entire routine needs to be consistent and soothing.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Get the book On Becoming Baby Wise. Its 13 bucks, it will save you life.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 7:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• We had a problem with dd, she had her nights and days mixed up (i think its because i worked thirds while pregnant lol). But I would wake her up during the day if she slept more than 2 hours. Try to make night time and day competely different. At night don't turn on any lights. When dd woke up at night I would just feed her and put her back to sleep. No talking, no playing, no lights. your baby will sleep through the night when they are ready, it's nto really something you can force. but you can help make it easier for them.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It is impossible to get a 2 month old into a "sleep habit." The part of the brain that regulates sleep doesn't develop until sometime after 6 months old. You have to let a baby under 6 months old just sleep when they want/need to sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• If a 2 month old baby is sleeping through the night, Id be thinking there was a problem...they're supposed to wake up to eat. Even my youngest (I have 5) who slept through the night earliest out of all of my kids didnt do it until about 4.5 months. Im also on board with never wake a sleeping baby. I think any "training" you try to do at this point will be a failure, simply because at this age, they're supposed to wake up at night.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 8:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Oh and waking a 2 month old to play is a terrible idea. You will over stimulate him and cause him to have trouble settling down. A 2 month old needs to be changed, fed, and cuddled and allowed to sleep on his schedule.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Thanks! I won't be waking him up. I appreciate the advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 27, 2010