Tips for a todlers first Air Plane trip?!?

hiya i have a two year old who is very very active and hates to be held for too long. we plan to take a 3-4 hour flight to my sisters wedding in July and i wanted to ask what should i do to get him ready? he dosent really like any toys they dont hold his interest for too long. i imagine hes going to be screaming the entire time. so what can i do to make the flight a little more bearable for everyone on it?

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 7:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my son on a 4 hour plane ride when he was 14 months old. He was very active then too. Tire your child out before the trip. Avoid naps and maybe even wake them up early that day so they will be ready to sleep on the plane. Make sure you give the child a drink while the plane takes off and lands. It will help prevent their ears from popping. Then just hope they sleep most of the time. Also try reading books to keep them occupied in the seat and anything else quiet that might entertain the child.
    shamrocka7

Answer by shamrocka7 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• What does hold his attention? Books? Movies? If he's a movie watcher, take one of those portable DVD players. And have snacks and drinks ready so there's no delay when he needs them. I always sit in the back of the plane to try to disturb the fewest people possible and to stand up if we need to -plus you're close to the bathroom. And the flight attendants are usually very helpful.

My boss flew with 2-year-old twins across the country. She took ear plugs to give all the people around them. It was a great ice breaker and they thought it was funny. That way, they knew she was trying to be considerate, and they were all very tolerant.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• crayons and paper worked well on a plane trip with my 2-year-old.

Also, I agree to give your child something to suck or chew on during take-offs and landings to help with their ears.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2010