Do you think it's inappropriate for a parent to sit on their ADULT child's lap?

My dh and I disagree on this. His mom will sit in his lap from time to time. I think it's "strange". He was shocked when I told him I felt this way. He says it's fine. That mothers/sons and fathers/daughters just have different relationships so it's okay. I think there is an age where it just isn't appropriate. Just curious to see what other opinions were. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree that it's strange. I would feel very uncomfortable in that situation.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 7:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• no, i think that maybe she does it being cute..kinda saying he has outgrown her lap but she can sit in his now.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Strange, but to each their own. ; )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 7:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Ever read the book "I'll love you forever" by Robert Munsch???.... (You will cry your eyes out if u read the whole story -linked-)

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living
    my baby you'll be.

But she couldn't finish because she was too old and sick. The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song:

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living
    my Mommy you'll be.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I don't see anything strange about this, unless your mind is in the gutter.

Answer by older at 7:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Oops didnt clarify-- that was the beginning & ending that I thought was most important to this post...

I think its OK in some ways.. I guess it depends on the body language & such (having a hard time expressing what im trying to say)..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I think it depends on the family- I have friends who do this sort of thing and it's no big deal, but for me and my family this would never happen.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't sound like normal Mother-Son relationship to me. Gross. Would an adult child sit in their parent's lap? No.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is strange. I think you are over reacting about it.
    Like MamaTasha... I thought about that book. The first time I read it, my mom had just been diagnosed with cancer and it made me so sad, I cried the whole night. It is a sweet book and if you read it you would probably have different outlook on your MIL sitting on your dh's lap.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Anon :07 I agree! He said it would be okay if I sat in my dad's lap. That just seems strange to me. I remember when my relationship with my dad changed. It just seemed like a natural change in what was appropriate and what wasn't anymore. I've always been a daddy's girl so it's not like we weren't close. I still hug my dad and love him to death, but I wouldn't go sit in his lap "just because".
    Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. He'll be glad to know that some of you think I'm just as weird as he does! :)
    OP
    Anonymous