It is okay for a baby to listen to music through headphones?

I have a three month old who LOVES music. When we are in the car she cries constantly until I turn on the radio. I am taking her on a plane in about a week to meet my side of the family. it's a 4 hr flight and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to let her listen to her music through some soft headphones, as long as I keep the volume low. I will ask her Dr. before i go, but I would like to know if anyone has tried this with a bad outcome.

Asked by EPH5-1 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it is not a good idea.

Answer by louise2 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• two things come to my mind about head phones and small children. 1). what may seem to be a low level of volume to an adult could be too loud for a small child and could possibly cause future hearing problems. 2). As much as small children wriggle around and move, it would be quite easy for the cords to become wrapped around the child's neck. There's a real strangulation risk there. Take some small toys for her and have a bottle of juice or formula handy for her. The difference in elevation and cabin pressure can cause the ears to hurt a bit and sucking on a bottle will's like an adult chewing gum to relieve the feeling of pressure in the ears on a flight. (if you're a breast-feeding mom, be prepared to nurse her)

Answer by meriana at 10:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• no headphones for babies. pretty sure if you played music on a laptop or something at a low level no one will mind, especially if option 2 is a very unhappy baby.

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• No. You could damage her delicate ears. Maybe even blow her ear drum. I'm sure if you asked your pediatrician he'd say no too.

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2010