can strep throat go away on it's own?

i'm pretty sure i have strep throat. what i don't have is money and insurance! even if i went to the ER, i couldn't afford any prescription they might give me. will it go away eventually? what could happen if it goes untreated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Health

• Please don't let strep go untreated. It can damage your heart valves. Are you near a larger community? Google community health centers for your area. They get federal funds to take patients who have no insurance and have a sliding scale. They do not turn you away if you cannot pay anything. They can usually help you get medication either for free or for next to nothing. Depending on your income, you may want to look into getting on Medicaid until your situation improves. That is what it is there for.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I'm sure it could be bad, Check your local health food store for a natural remedy if you cant afford the doc.

Anonymous

• yes eventually it will go away. nothing bad will probably happen as long as you try to stay as healthy as possible besides the fact.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Strep throat is treated usually with an antibiotic, so you will need to see a doctor and it is contagious. In the mean time to help with pain gargle with warm salt water and drink throat coat tea or any warm tea with temporarily help.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Streptococcal pharyngitis or streptococcal sore throat (known colloquially as strep throat in American English) is a form of group A streptococcal infection[1] that affects the pharynx and possibly the larynx and tonsils. It is a very contagious infection, spread by close contact with an infected individual, which can lead to various other complications if not swiftly treated. Antibiotics can help reduce contagiousness.
    Anonymous

• I get it twice a year and I've stopped going to the doctor for it. I just use some natural throat spray.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I took our son to an urgent care, he had it, went to the local grocery store and got the prescription for FREE. Ask the DR where you can go to get it for free. My son was put on Amoxicillan for it.
    Anonymous

• strep throat CAN be very serious. a local business mans daughter. 20+ something died from it. i would go in.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yes. I believe caught it from my niece (who had a confirmed case) when home for my father's funeral. I also caught pertussis and the norovirus (pretty crappy month). I kept getting sick and did not realize it must have been strep throat. I squish a med size clove of garlic and put it in hot tea, and drink it often.

Be aware that most sore throats are caused by viruses, not strep. Sore throats should only be treated with antibiotics if the strep test is positive. Strep cannot be accurately diagnosed by symptoms or a physical exam alone.

The illness usually begins suddenly. The fever often is highest on the second day. Many people also have sore throat, headache, stomach ache, nausea, or chills. Some strains can result in scarlet fever; rarely, strep can be followed by rheumatic fever.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• strep will morph into scarlett fever, which can kill you

Answer by rkoloms at 9:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010