what is it like being a Methodist pastor or a preacher's wife?

My husband just informed me that God is calling him to pastor a Methodist church. I am worried though- I hate to move and I was told pastors just get sent places, and they have to go. Also- is it true that your house is paid for? any extra info you could give me would be great!!!

cornfamilyzoo

Asked by cornfamilyzoo at 8:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I sit on the board at my church so here is a bit of knowledge.Generally Methodist ministers are assigned to churches by their conference.In the beginning he will be an ass. or asst. minister to a sr.pastor.As he gets experience he will be given more responsibility.This can range from being an ass.minister to a very large church to a sr pastor at a smaller church.Then hopefully he will continue up.There will probably come a time when he will stay put.Some of our very large churches conduct their own search for a sr pastor.When this happens the pastor stays till retirement.Housing is variable also some churches provide a parsonage with room to decorate others will let ministers pick out a parsonage within guidelines with the ownership being retained by the church.Others simply provide an income large enough to buy a home.What is your husbands education most Methodist ministers are degreed in theology

Anonymous

• I have two dear friends, a Methodist pastor and his wife. Yes, those are the terms and I wish they were different, but God provides and if you are walking with God, it's all good.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• some do provide living quarters which remain church property, but Pastors are free to purchace their own home.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 3:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2010