Failed Mirena or faulty test!?

I've had a lot of pregnancy dreams lately & I'm a very paranoid person, so I took a test (like I do almost every week sometimes) even though I have the Mirena. Well, my test today has two lines. HOWEVER, the line that would be the "positive" is weird. Not faded weird, but it's a different color than the other line (as in, looks more orange-red, like rust or dried blood) & it is oddly shaped. Tilted slightly & looks like it's running (like, spreading or bleeding on the strip). Would this be a sign of a faulty test!? I'll take another one, but I don't get money til next week so it'll have to wait (would go to the OB but the wait would be longer). Any ideas? Anyone else have something like this happen?!

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my mirena was giving me cysts which caused several false positives.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• That can happen!? OMG Thanks for the heads up!!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had cysts when I had the IUD, too. But honestly, on my birth board a few women have gotten pregnant with Mirena.
    If you are a serial test taker, you should start using the ones att he dollar tree, they are just as sensitive as most other brands I've always gotten my positive results at 11dpo.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I buy the multi-packs of them at WalMart. Almost a buck or so a piece when you break it down. I'm just hoping it was a faulty test...plus, it really didn't look right at all, & I've had positives before...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I would want to make sure, I was looking up that IUD, cuz I have it and it can cause an ectopic pregnancy. Very dangerous to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• As a nurse practitioner for an OBGYN, i can guarantee that if your Mirena was put in properly...you absolutely cannot get pregnant. If there is any chance that you are pregnant, then whoever put your mirena in place, did not do a good job at all & i would advise that you get a new Dr.

Most women who get cysts on their ovaries while on mirena, more commonly get them without mirena then women who do not get them at all. We have more women come in complaining about ovarian cysts who do not have mirena. Occasionally, we will get a patient who has mirena who gets a cyst. But, it is actually more common that we see a women complaining about cysts who have never even had a type of IUD put in.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

I DONT THINK I WOULD TELL PEOPLE I WAS A NURSE PRACTITIONER IF I WAS GOING TO GIVE ILL ADVICE. IT IS VERY POSSIBLE TO GET PREGNANT EVEN IF PLACE CORRECTLY. I AM AN OBGYN AND I HAVE SEEN IT AND HAVE PEERS WHO HAVE AS WELL! ITS NOT 100%!
    Anonymous

• my sister had her mirena for 4 yrs. when she went in for her pap she found out she was 2 mts pregnant and the iud was gone. so yoiu can get pregnant on mirena
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010