Has anyone's child been upset for multiple days after shots?

My 2 month old DS had his first round of shots on Thrusday last week (and it is now Monday) and since then has been a major grump. Will not let us put him down, will not sleep, just wants to fus. He isn't the happy child that he was before the shots. I have only been getting about 3 hours of sleep a night since then. My older son didn't ever act like this after shots. I am at my wits end because I am not getting any sleep and am loosing my temper really quick because I am on a lack of sleep. Has anyone else had this happen with any of their children? Should I call the doctor to find out if this is normal? I just don't know what else to do. Please help!

Caribug

Asked by Caribug at 9:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We didn't allow any shots the first year, but this does not sound normal. Call the doctor's office and report this as a vaccine injury.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I've always vaccinated my boys during the first year if they needed it and they were over it in minutes. Maybe a little sore on the spot for a couple of days but it never seemed to bother them too much. Only you know UR child the best....IMO, call the doc and ask them to check him out and tell him UR concerns. It may be nothing but it could be some effect from the vaccine or something. Always er on the side of caution...GL!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• we don't vaccinate at all. and i agree with rkoloms, call the dr., and report it. can you get a nap in for yourself?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I would love to get a nap, but with him and and 18 month old in the house the only way I get a nap is if both boys take a nap at the same time. I will call the doctor tomorrow.
    Caribug

Answer by Caribug at 10:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My daughter was really crabby after her 1 year shots. Usually after her shots she is fine by the next day (we go in the late afternoon because of my work schedule). My daughter just was not getting any better. She cried all the time, ran a low grade fever, wanted to be held all the time. Well after 3 days of this, we took her back to the doctor. She had developed RSV and an ear infection. Maybe your son is coming down with something from the doctors office. It seemed that she got sick the very next day. Good Luck, poor little guy!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son came home from his 2 mo shots and was a grump for several days, then he screamed for 4 hours on the 3rd day and I didn't think a lot of it. I got him his next round of shots and he had a seizure and now I'm still debating getting his 12 mo shots. I'm kind of afraid to.

I'd watch your LO very carefully, tell your SO/DH to watch the baby if you are losing your temper with him being sick, and yes call the doctor tomorrow.. This could be a vaccine reaction.. so there are numerous possibilities of reaction.. he could have a seizure like my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My second daughter was okay with her first round but her 4 and 6 months were a nightmare. She was a total crab for like 4 days. She wanted to be held and nursed constantly, I now know for her next shots not to plan anything for a few days. If you a really concerned call the doctor. There is probably nothing wrong, each child handles vaccinations differently, but it won't hurt to call.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Logan was exactly like that after his 2-month shots. I was so glad my mom was here visiting to help out since I was at my wits end. Do you need a hand?
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 9:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My daughter was in the worst mood for almost 4 days after her first shots. All of her other ones so far have been fine though
    deppert

Answer by deppert at 3:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010