How do I get him to sleep in a Pack'n'play or his crib?

DS is 2 months old and will ONLY sleep in his swing. Now I wouldn't really care if we weren't moving in a month and a half and the swing is going on the moving truck (with the professional movers). He will sleep in his pack'n'play for about 10 minutes and wake up, if I am lucky. Most times I lay him down in his pack'n'play or his crib and he wakes right up. I am not getting much sleep becuase of this. I don't know what else to do to get him to sleep in either place. His pack'n'play is in our room next to my side of the bed. I sleep with the light on in the bathroom (so I can see) and most nights fall asleep with the tv on.

I am really in need of some sleep. Please help...any suggestions would be great. I am going out tomorrow to buy a swaddler (b/c I can't get a blanket tight enough) to see if that helps but I am at my wits end. PLEASE HELP!

Caribug

Asked by Caribug at 9:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's how my daughter was. She refused to sleep anywhere but right on top of me. At 4 mos, I was tired of it and so I made her transition into the crib. It took some CIO, but I did a modified version where I would check on her every 10 mins. and rub her back, etc. Newborns are big pains in the ass.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• DD was like this for a while too. Every time I put her down she woke up! We started swaddling her and it made a difference. Also for about 4 weeks I would let her sleep in her car seat then put her car seat in the crib. Then I just started putting her in the crib. We did a week with putting her in the crib awake and swaddled. and now at 4 months old I can put her in her crib awake, and unswaddled and she will go to sleep. They just have to get used to it. It's a big adjustment! I also had one of my friends tell me to put a warm heating pad in the crib for about 15 min before I put dd in so it will be warm and not such a cold shock when she lays down. I never tried it, but it might work!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Newborns are a big pain in the ass? Wow....And for a second "wow", CIO, no matter how often you check on them, should NOT be done at FOUR months old.

My suggestion? Let him sleep with you, or buy another swing (craigslist maybe?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i think the last anon is crazy! you dont have to let the baby sleep with you all the time, you need your rest. my son didnt "want" to sleep in his either, but he had to get used to it. at 2 months i would just let them cry it out either, but do let him cry SOME. if the baby is sleep and wakes as soon as he gets put down, then i would let him cry, and i would rub his back to let him know that i was there for him, but i wouldnt pick him up. my son wouldnt go to sleep without the leapfrop baby tad, it had a button that let u play lullabies for up to 6 minutes, and i would turn it on and leave it in the room with him, and he would be asleep before the music stopped most of the time.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• oh yea, i swaddled like the other post, and it is a MIRICLE! babies swing their hands and feet and can actually wake themselves up lol. the swaddling helps them feel like someone is still holding them tight and keeps their feet and hands at their side!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2010