Help The Terrible Two's are taking over my life..Am I the only one?

My two year old son is making doing anything extremly difficult and I have tried everything under the son but nothing seems to help. I'm starting to think there is more of an issue. If anyone has any advice please I will try anything at this point.

tatorsmom2004

Asked by tatorsmom2004 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• BUST HIS BUTT ! !
    Anonymous

• no matter what, no matter how difficult, don't engage with him. Meaning, if he refuses to eat, then leave him be. If he throws a fit, walk away..........DO NOT acknowledge anything he does. EVEN negative attention is attention. And if you continue to feed it, or give in, he will learn that that is how to get you.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I read and felt stupid, but used the techniques in The Happiest Toddler on the Block. You can just write down the basic idea of it from flipping through it at the bookstore and see if it helps. 2's were SO bad for us too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well.. I do not have any advice. Because nothing I have tried has helped me lol My daughter is 3 1/2 and is STILL going through it. It gets worse and worse each day it seems. I also thought that something was wrong other than normal toddler behavior and I still suspect it sometimes. The biggest thing that helps me is just patience and keeping my cool. The more frustrated I get the worse she acts. I know it is hard not to scream at a child that is screaming at you CONSTANTLY but try your best not to. The more you scream, the more your son will scream. They pick up on our tension, anxiety, and negative mood.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Seriously, if you feel like you're about to lose control, then TIME OUT yourself for a few minutes to calm down. Just remember who the adult is. Their purpose of this is to push boundaries and learn how far they can get with you.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Your not the only one! My almost 3 DD is out of control. I don't know how to handle it anymore....and I feel like i've tried everything as well. My head is going to explode :(
    Anonymous

• I used to tell my son when he was 3-4 years old to go into his room and not come out til he smiles. No matter what it was.............if he was having a fit or misbehaving, that was it. Lasted about 2 seconds after that
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son is also trying to get out of hand... Nothing seems to be working. So I'm starting a reward system... I am making a chart, and got "I'm a big kid now" stickers. I have prize tubs 3, to be exact... The first just has small lil things, the second has toys, bubbles, all from the dollar store. The third has big stuff, but still from the dollar store... At any time during the day when he uses his 'listening ears' he gets a sticker...Such as... He wants fruit snacks, but it's almost dinner time. I tell him to put em up, shut the cabinet (in more words & explained much better). If he does it with out being told twice, in addition to being praised for using his listening ears he gets a sticker on his chart. At the end of the day, depending on how many stickers to which tub, he gets to pick a prize for being good that day. I'm hoping eventually he'll tend to listen better, so he can get that reward at the end of the day... GL
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Read Toddler Wise! and Sherperding a Childs Heart. Also too, Discipline and consistency are key at this age for them. My son is almost three and he has pretty much been good but it took alot because at first sign of anything I handled.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 10:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Your not alone I have a two year old too, and it gets extreme sometimes. But I try to go out when he is in a good mood. I even talked to a child development Dr. and he told me that the reason that twos is so hard is because they are still not able to talk or express themselves well all the thoughts are there but not the words. I even tried to argue with him and said but Doc he sometimes hits his own head or will just scream for no reason that I can figure out. He then looked at me plainly and said so would you if you could not get your point across. I thought about it and agreed! Good Luck

and to the 1st post STFU can you ever say anything else? I always see "bust his butt" on this sort of post and it makes me so sad for your kids!

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 5:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2010