Is it normal for your toddler to favor one parent?

My daughter is 2 and it may sound weird but we are best buddies. We have fun all day long. My husband works on the weekends so he's home during the week and I can tell he's slightly jealous that I'm the go to parent. He tries really hard and it hurts me when she says she doesn't want to play with him or whatever. My heart tells me just let it be and in a couple of months I'll be the one on the outside but I really think it's an issue and wonder how or if I should talk with him about it.

ShaunaYve

Asked by ShaunaYve at 9:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My poor husband gets jealous at times. My daughter wants me when she is tired, falls and gets hurt, snuggle with. My husband is the big play toy. He wants some of the snuggle time too. I just keep telling him that mamas are the nurturing ones and daddys are the play toys.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• This is completely normal. I'm a SAHM and business owner so I'm home all day with my boys. When hubby comes home, it's AAAAAALL about him and "Daddy Daddy Daddy". It's because they don't see him AS much as me. And it's expected, I think. They DO go thru phases from time to time as to who goes to whom. Daddy is for playing and having fun...Mommy is for snuggles, food and comfort. LOL
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well I am a SAHM but it is opposite for me. I am the one they are with all day and yes we do have tons of fun, but I also have to be the one to do the majority of the discipline. So of coarse when daddy comes home their eyes light up because he is the fun one ALL THE TIME.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• HAHAHA, soooo true, Ctink. Hubby is the one that always is the sucker. LOL
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 10:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yeah, I think it's normal, and they may favor a different parent at different times in their lives. My 7-month-old loves to p lay with daddy, but if I'm out of sight too long he gets fussy, then gets all excited when I reappear. DH understands, fortunately!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• id say it's pretty normal. my dd is 3 now and is at my side at all times. but when it comes to daddy she wont play with him or anything. it hurts his feelings a little. i thought she would be switching by now, and he would be the favorite but she is just a huge mommas girl!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I stay at home and work. I am with my son all day long. He is so happy when daddy gets home. Sometimes he will wonder around the house going "Da Da!". I feel bad cause my husband doesn't get home until late and the little guy misses him a lot.
    Anonymous