How often should my two month old poop?

I have a two month old baby girl who hasn't had a bowel movement in three days. Her moods and habits haven't changed but I'm still concerned on whether this is normal or not. I have a soon to be three year old boy and remember he filled his diaper daily at this age the only difference is that I'm only breastfeeding her with my son I still worked and formula feed him every once in a while. Should I call her Doctor??

Narsita

Asked by Narsita at 10:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
    "It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I would call in the morning, but not worry to much unless she starts drawing up her legs and crying a bunch. It can be normal at this age to go several days between BM's.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Constipation isnt determined by the frequency of the bowelmovements, but the consistence of them.
    Some babies poop a couple times a day some only once in a few weeks.
    You just need to watch and make sure she is not in pain while she is pooping, and that the stool is loose.
    If it is one big clump, or small like pebbles then she is constipated.
    You can give her a small amout of dilated prune juice if she is constipated, it will help her quickly. Just get the gerber prune juice, or any prune juice really--i just watch the sugar-- but get the juice, put 1 oz in a bottle and dilate with 1 oz water.
    Some people do a straight 2 oz, but that would always give my son stomach cramps.
    Also sometimes when my son was constipated, when I would change his diaper, I would but desitin on his bottom and it would stimulate him-- some weird reason.
    GL!!!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It's normal for breastfed babies to go days without having a BM. My DD went 5-6 days without one around that age and everyone told me to take her to the hospital because they didn't know about the differences of formula and breastmilk. I never took her in because I knew and she was fine but was pretty explosive when she finally went lol.
    If she is acting fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Let nature take its course unless she's in pain/straining.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2010