How do you handle temper tantrums with a 2 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have always ignored it mainly, not always. But I did tell them everytime "that's not how you get what you want".
    Worked great for my kids. Also, never ever not once give in to their demands. That is a reward they will never forget.....
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• try redirection if that don't work put the child somewhere safe & allow them to have the tantrum giving it no attention
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It really depends on where we are when it happens. If at home or in a private area (not out in public) I'd get down in the floor at the child's level and just sit there giving the child the attention he/she is wanting. These little kids have no way to communicate well to adults and they get frustrated that adults aren't listening to them so they throw their tantrums. Getting down on the child's level shows the child you are attempting to figure it all out. If out in public, I'd take the child to a private area or the car and do the same thing, give the child undivided attention and try to figure out wtf? It is frustrating for the adult but imagine how hard it is on the child trying to get through to others what they want or feel and no one is listening.
    Anonymous

• At home, I try and do as pp said and get down at her level, make eye contact and in a calm voice explain to her that I understand she wants to play with the puppies outside...but that right now, it's time for a nap. I make sure to validate her point of view, but I also don't give in and let her do what she wants when it nap time. In public, grocery store for instance, when she wants something and throws a fit I have taken to the bathroom and we sat there until she calmed down and then I told her we would go back out when she was ready to be good. What works better though, although way more exhausting, is taking her to the car and letting her scream in her carseat for a minute. Then I get at her level and say "Are you ready to sit in the seat like a good girl, or do you want to stay out here and scream?" She says she wants in the buggy seat, so I try and put her in...if she resists I put her back in the car and wait another...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• minute and say again "Are you ready to sit in the seat where it's safe (she wants to ride in the main area of the cart where my groceries go) or do you want to stay in your car seat?" I essentially continue doing this until she gets the point that she is NOT going to get her way and that if she wants to go back in the store she WILL sit in her seat without screaming. She's really big on being kept safe lately too, so we told her the seat was safe and showed her the straps and I told her "remember how Dora and boots buckle their seat belts to be safe?" and that seems to be working also. Lots of work, but a few times and they KNOW you will take their butts out to the car if they don't be quiet. Works at home too if you have a time out area that can temporarily and safely restrain them...like a crib, high chair, or baby gate.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2010