Does anyone here practice Shamanism?

I'm wondering because I've started studying it and would very much appreciate recommendations for things (books, drumming CDs, etc.).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on which version you are speaking. My great Great Great Grandma was a Shaman for her Indian tribe. They are also referred to ass medicine woman or more derogatory witch doctor. If you can go more into which type of shaman you are speaking I may be able to help a little.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I certainly wouldnt encourage it, recently saw a short documentary about this and how the man got set free from it... its pretty much evil and the guy was the head Shaman. He is now a believer in Jesus Christ and what stories he could tell would freak you out.

Yeah, because a Christian would never go batshit crazy like David Koresh or Nazis or the Klan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It's kinda difficult to go in to Shamanism w/o a "teacher." And Shamans tend not to pass their knowledge to just anyone. There is a small amount of information in the "Everything About Paganism" book, but most of what you will want to learn isn't going to be found in books on this subject.

Here are a few sites - but your best bet is to find a mentor who either IS a Shaman or has studied as one... You may also want to check online for Drumming Circles in your area.
    http://www.shamanismschool.com/
    http://www.shamansociety.org/
    http://www.shamanism.com/

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• sorry as not ass
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Well, so far the only book that I've had to read much out of is Christopher Penczack's Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft. And then also the short chapter in Idiot's Guide to Paganism, so I'm really not sure yet.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Shane... "Step Away from the computer"

OP... do you have a local Native Tribe in your area? They would be happy to help guide you I am sure...
    Also I haven't had time yet, but I did have a few websites that talked about it and directed me to other resources bc
    I was interested in what all it entailed... I will see if I can find them... as for books, I honestly don't know.
    Are you a member of Sabrina's group? there maybe some info there too

Good Luck on your Journey
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• HERE is what I had..

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• LOL @ notpanickings answer.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I dont practice it as a religion, but I do study under its teachings at times. Here is a video I found interesting .

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

You think any thing is evil. Shoot maybe your evil after all you do constantly have demons trying to possess you according to you right.

OP I agree with the one who asked about the Indian tribe. That would be the way for info. If you wish I can find a scanner and upload parts of my Great ect Grandmas journal.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2010