For all my Mommies w/2 or more kiddos......

After you had your first child did you find it got harder once the second came along or stayed the same?? How difficult was it to adjust to more than one child in the house?? Did you have them close together and did it make any difference??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My boys are 20 months apart. I wanted them really close together. It is really hard the first few months but now that they are 2 and 4 I think its easier having 2. They play together and keep each other occupied.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It is harder. I don't get the "if you're feeding one, you just feed another" thing. That other one, cries, needs a new diaper, sleeps differently from the first and on and on it goes. My kids are 18 mos apart. It was brutal. Second son had colic for 8 months. By age 3 they played together wonderfully and I'm so glad we did it that way. Still BRUTAL for a few years with two in diapers.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Mine were almost 3 yrs apart. I found it easier after each one. I had 3 total. I know it sounds crazy but I thought it would be harder with more but it was much easier but I stopped at 3 bc I knew my marriage was falling apart.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had mine three years apart and it was a huge adjustment. I had a brand new baby who was having a horrible time learning to nurse, and my three year old felt left out and needy. I wanted to give my oldest lots of love, but at the same time, I felt like I was missing out on getting to know my new baby. Lots of guilt all around for the first couple of months. Now they're 4 and 7 though, and very close. My youngest is such a joy, and the kids love each other.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My boys are four years apart and I think it was easier. While I was nursing my baby I could let my oldest watch cartoons or put a puzzle together. He would hand me diapers and so on, he could entertain himself while I took care of the baby. Now they are 5 and 20 months old and my oldest is like a little mother. He watches his little brother like a hawk (sometimes better than I do when I am preoccupied with dinner or dishes) it's nice that they play together.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My 3 are 3 years apart. It's harder to go from one to two than two to three. A friend of my has 8 and she said the same thing. After going from 1 to 2 it's gravy.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• it was easy for me. dh and i have 2 kids 13yrs apart. When my son came along my 13yo daughter was sooo in love with the new baby. Now she's 15 and since he was born she's helped me with everything when dh is at work. When she comes home from school they greet each other at the door as if they havent seen each other in days, lol I wish they were closer in age but this is ok too.
    Anonymous

• well, i went from no kids to 2 at once because i am a Step-mom. then i had my own baby. Then SKs BM changed things so we didn't have the SKs as much and I honestly felt lost only having my DD most of the time. It was a HUGE adjustment for me going from 3 kids to 1 kid. I have never gotten the chance to transition from one to two....so I dont know what it is like. However, I think I would have liked that better than going from 3 to 1. I had no problems going from none to 2. It was very natural for me.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I, personally, never got used to having just one child. I was pregnant again by the time she was 6 months. She was 15 months old when her brother was born. Other then my son's colic and reflux which made feeding and getting him to sleep a pain it wasn't much different then having just 1 kid. It was just another baby to deal with. Then 13 months after he was born I had my 2nd daughter and it made almost no difference to family dynamics. It was just a logistical problem when we went out with them since they all needed to be buckled in car seats, etc.
    Now I'm expecting #5. the older kids are going to be 4, 7 1/2, 8 1/2 and 10 when the baby is born. It's the longest I've gone between pregnancies. Should be interesting.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My first 2 are 16 months apart. It wasn't a huge thing to go to 2. It was easier yet when we added #3 25 months later, and #4 21 months after that. Now that they're older and all have attitudes I question why I had so many so close, but it was nice to get through all the sleepless nights and diapers in one huge fell swoop. My babies were all really really good babies once they hit the 1 month mark too, it just never really phased me. I wasn't worried about it, that helped too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2010