do you feel the same? walking kids to the potty 2

recently I answered a ? should you walk a preschooler to the bathroom & I said yes until around 9.. the OP never said this was a inside a school or in public.. Ok if IN school they should be walked to the bathroom with teacher outside of bathroom until second grade.. If IN public until around 9 or older to protect them from strangers, mostly.. My soon to be 11 yr old or myself walks my 7 yr old to the bathroom when we in a restaurant. I feel that its a unsafe world & we must protect our children.

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 12:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I completely agree.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My daughter is almost 10 and I do not allow her to go to the bathroom herself.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I meant while they're in school. I also meant to be walked to and waited for. Not go in the stall with them and wipe them. Lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• yes i agree,omg one time i heard of this mom that took her kid i believe 11 y/o to a bathroom at the beach...so i guess she was waiting for her kid and some man comes out and so she thinks nothing and well...she keeps waiting and when she finally realizes its been to long she walks in and there he was on the floor with his neck slashed...the man just came from behind and cut his throat omg!!! i thank God for those family bathrooms...i love target :)
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i agree.. in public.. my son will use the bathroom by himself when he says he's a big boy and I believe him.. until then.. I'm going to be right there
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• When my son tells me he wants to go in the mens room by himself, I'll let him go. Whether he's 5 or older than that. I think parents today need to chill out a bit more. There isn't a pervert waiting in every bathroom for that one stray child to come into the bathroom. But of course I'll wait outside, or go to the bathroom myself and tell him to wait for me inside the ladies room (if he's 5) If he's 8 I'll let him wait outside, in the area between the bathrooms. Not everyone is out to get your child! 9? By 9 I was coming home from school alone (3 blocks from the bus stop to my house) making myself a snack, sometimes on the stove, and doing my homework, all before 5 PM. If I can do it, so can my kid.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• ok so when I say walk them to the bathroom that is all I mean just walk them there & only help them if needed standing outside the door waiting for them.. well I personally would not allow a nine year old to walk home alone, but I would allow it if he was with a couple of friends.. there was a couple who tried to get a 11 yr old in their car around my ex house & he lives in a nice neighborhood.. my childs school isn't even allowing the kids to walk to school because its dangerous right now they are looking for that couple & some guy who went a ladies house & killed her.. I say better safe than sorry.. the world today is more dangerous than when I was growing up. ( I'm 34)
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 6:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My son is 3 and still uses the ladies room with me. When he's older I'll stand outside the men's room with my foot in the door. If the men don't like it, they can hurry up and leave. When he's 13 or so then he can potty alone, till then, he better be used to seeing me.

At school, where I feel he should be watched closely and go in groups, never alone, then he should be ok.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2010