How Long After Your Water Brakes Should You Wait To Go To The Hospital?

When my sisters water broke at 1am, she waited till 5am before she left for the hospital and gave birth at 7:20am. My mother says you should go right away. And others have said you cam wait till your contractions are atleast 5mins apart...

Im confused. My water broke with my 2nd baby but it was only just leaking a very small amount so i didnt know it, i still have dont know how long it was broke for lol.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 6:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Go. Once your water breaks you can run a risk of delivering at home or infection.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Go immediately! 5min apart for an hour is the rule only if your water hasn't broken. After your water breaks you run the risk of infection as well.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The doctor and hospital will tell you to go as soon as your water breaks because of increased risk of infection. Generally speaking, your water breaking causes contractions to start if they hadn't started already, so it may be a moot point. BUT, some women's labor doesn't start spontaneously when their water breaks, so they choose to wait for that to happen before going to the hospital, reasoning behind this being that when you get to the hospital they put you on a clock and will insist on interventions (pitocin, C-section) if baby isn't born on their time which, strictly speaking, isn't always necessary. As long as you don't put anything in the vagina after your water breaks (including bath water, but showers are ok), you should be ok to wait for contractions. But again, many times water breaking comes with contractions anyway, so you might not even have to worry about it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I waited about 7 hours after my water broke to go to the hospital, we went shopping first... that was fun ;) I should have waited a lot longer to go in. I ended up laboring for 25 hours and I would have been a lot more comfortable at home.
    As long as you aren't putting anything into your vagina infection really isn't a concern.
    It really depends on how comfortable you are and how many interventions you want.
    I had a drug free birth, and being in the hospital for that long really was pointless for me.
    But if you want a medical birth (epidural, an iv, pitocin) then you will want to go a bit earlier.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 7:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It depends on YOU. Are you comfortable laboring at home? Do you want to weigh the risk of delivering at home if you waited too long? If it were me I would wait until I absolutely had to go because I don't like hospitals. Do you want an epidural or pain meds? Those are some of the things you need to ask yourself when you decide on when your going into the hospital.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Asap. My sil waited to go after her water broke, because my brother convinced her she just peed, and my nephew was in the hospital for 11 days with a infection.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Call the doctor but I would suggest you go right away.

My sister waited an unfortunately my nephew passed away at 3 days old, and my sister almost died on the delivery table. I went right away, and my son was delivered an 1.5 later he was my 4 child.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• mine never broke at home with my first, but i have a 7 week old now and my water broke at 1:45 AM, my contractions never picked up so my mid wife told me to stay home as long as i felt comfortable. i didnt go to the hospital until 6:30 that night. i also went shopping, dropped my older daughter off and then went in. they started antibiotics when i got there and pitocin and she was born at 1:52 AM. so it was almost exactly 24 hours to the min after my water broke she was born :)
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• That instant! once the water breaks you have the risk of infection if not delivered with in 24hrs. As well as a prolapsed cord, and a whole list of other things that can go wrong!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Depends on you. Mine did the same thing with my son, broke about 1 am and I didn't go anywhere until 6:30. He wasn't born until 11:27. :)
    I have been told to go asap (by other people) but my doctor said to go when I feel ready.
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2010