Is it safe to use a pack and play as a crib?

Is it safe and comfortable enough for a baby to sleep in every night?

Tummysmomma

Asked by Tummysmomma at 7:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used one for vacations and over night visits to the grandparents, but never as a day to day thing. It seems like it would be ok, but I'm not sure.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have used a square pack and play on and off for years as a "crib", for my special needs 6 yo. The two big problems that I have with it are this.... unless you have a completely water proof mattress cover made for the pack and play, any drop of anything (drool, milk, leaky diaper) soaks right into the foam beneath the cover. and the other reason I don't like them for cribs is the foam is way to thin to provide any long term comfort. I think it is OK to use short term (and I have done it) but for long term, you need a more substantial bed.

(if you have a small pack-n-play you can get water proof covers and sheets just about anywhere. If you have the cube shape like mine, your best bet is ebay. I got some really nice (made to order) ones from a WAHM on ebay)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes, it's fine. My first used a pack-n-play as a crib every day/night until about 10 months old. My second still uses it at 12.5 months. We have the pack-n-play right next to the bed, making it easier to get baby out and feed her (my second is still nursing), and it's also more comforting for me to have my baby right next to me so I don't have to worry about whether they're ok. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes it's fine. I used a pack and play for my younger two because the actual cribs that I had bought ended up being on the recall lists and my pack and play never was. I think it was extremely useful. Since they were already used to sleeping in it we could go just about anywhere and they still had their bed that they were used to sleeping in. My oldest one slept in a crib and if we went to a friend's house and tried to put him in the pack and play he would through a fit. I didn't have that problem with my younger two.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes its fine. we tried using it with my little one but she wont sleep in it because its uncomfy. The pad is wayyy to thin.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Comfortable, no. It doesn't have a mattress (and it's not safe to add one). Instead it has a hard "pad." As for safe, it is safe until they can climb out. My son could climb out of one when he was 14 months old, where as he could not climb out of his crib until he was 20 months old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• when we decided to buy something for Monkey to sleep in, we bought a pack and play. Now Lump is in it and he loves it. He doesn't want to sleep in our bed anymore. He goes to sleep better in his pack and play. If your child likes to sleep in it, then go for it. Monkey hated it and he wasn't happy until he was in a toddler bed. Lump, on the other hand, I think is going to be happy in his pack and play for a while yet. Look for safety tags, though, and know when it is time to remove the child permanently from the bed.

Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 9:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I forgot to mention that my GMIL and I "fixed" the bottom padding after Monkey used it. It was horribly smelly and so we opened it up and added new foam and a water proof seal over it. We also added a light mix of fabric for comfort. Monkey never needed the comfort, but Lump loves it. Monkey was an older baby and he slept on blankets I pinned to the mattress, but I wanted something better for Lump and comfortable and safer.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 9:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i used one nightly until she was about 5months. and she uses it for travel.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I used the pack n play as a "crib" for all 4 of my kids. My oldest used it until she was 7 months and we could afford to buy a crib. Then the middle 2 kids slept in the pack n play until the crib became available (they are each a year apart and we only ever had 1 crib).
    My youngest used it from birth until she was 23 months old and outgrew it. But we cheated and she slept on a couple squished pillows after she turned 1. My plan had been to buy some 2" thick foam at a craft store and squish it in and make a cover (I'm handy like that) but never got around to it. She survived the pillows and was really mad when we switched her to a bigger bed.
    I'm due in July and plan to do the same thing with this one. No point in spending hundreds of dollars on a crib that will only get used for a few years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:22 AM on Apr. 27, 2010