What questions does a landlord ask when accepting a tenant?

I am moving, he wants a copy of my license? a letter from my job stating how long I have been there and what I make? Also, he wants the deposit money if I decide to take it on Saturday? I have it all...

I should recieve the lease then right????

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If everything checks out then I don't see why you wouldn't. Alot of times people like to run a background check to see what kind of person they are renting to, so if your clear on that then congrats, you should be moving soon ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes, you pay you get the lease and the keys. At least you should.

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Thanks, everything is good, I just never went through that. I guess now a days they have too.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The apartment is available in July, so I should at least get the lease
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• sounds like a lot, but i live in a country backwards town so that just may be city life! i have rented from 2 different people (not landlords per se or a business just people who rent out houses they own) and all i had to do was tell them where hubby and i work, they wanted a reference, some numbers of ppl who could tell them about us since we had no history, and deposit and rent due upon signing the lease and not a second before! a copy of ur license is understandable i guess. and a letter from your job...maybe he has had bad experiences with ppl not paying and yes the deposit if you are signing that day, if not i wouldnt give my money!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• if you give money, you get the lease.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have heard that landlords do background checks AND credit checks on people who want to rent. It seems reasonable. I would if I was a landlord. They want to know if you will pay your rent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes if it's an apt complex, all that is common information also if you give the money you will sign the lease that day and receive a copy that day too.
    Now my only concern is you are saying that the apt will be ready July 1st, that is still 2 months away you should not be pre-signing as far as I know. and if the place still has tenants in it NO you will not get keys...
    I talked to my dh NO you will not get a lease for that many months ahead of time...the deposit is most likely to ONLY hold the apt. you will NOT get a lease nor the keys until the apt is ready for you to move in. Make sure you get a receipt for the money given and for what it is for... EVERYTHING IN WRITING.....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2010