What questions would you ask the landlord, if you were intereseted in the place?

I want to ask:
I have kids, so will the neighbors be ok with that?
Can we use the yard?
Is there storage?
Laundry??

What would you ask???? Just want to be sure I don't forget anything.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Having rented apartments in the city, these are the questions I would need answered either by asking or knowing the area.
    Can we have pets? What kind?
    How is the neighborhood?
    Is the neighborhood mainly older people or does it have a lot of kids running around?
    How do I get the rent to you?
    How are the local schools?
    How is public transportation in the area?
    Are there any pest problems we should know about before renting the place? (Hubby and I rented a place and there were roaches but we didn't know about it until a week or so after we moved in, we were furious, so now whenever we will rent in the future, we will ask.)
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Be sure to ask about how they take care of the property, who mows? If you kid sticks a toy down the toilet, are you responsible, in most cases yes. How many times a year do the spray for bugs,,do a check etc.. Do they always inform you before they come in to your rental? Make sure you get renters insurance as well, happy hunting!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You also want to know if there are people partying all the time. We moved into a place once and the people upstairs partyed all night and day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• If something in the home breaks, who fixes it.. I had a landlord once that didnt want to fix or replace the fridge, or the window units for A/C.. He was lazy with everything. He also told us, he was putting in central heat and air, needless to say he didnt and we moved. The house had no heat, didn't need it at the time. We moved in during the spring.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Find out who is responsible for getting repairs and paying for them - does your landlord call the company or do you, and do you pay and then get reimbursed or just send the bill to the landlord - or in our case, book the service, pay the bill and never get reimbursed. Our landlord expects my husband to fix anything that goes wrong with our house and then blames us for things like roots in the sewer lines and a CHA unit that needed cleaned (due to layers and layers of dog hair and we don't have a dog). This is the first - and last - time we will rent, it's a nightmare! Oh, and if you are leasing, be sure to check out how often the lease has to be renewed and ask about rate increases. Our rent has gone up $75 per month with each new lease agreement - so now we are paying $150 more per month than when we moved in - it's crazy!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Many of the pp have listed good questions, one I would ask also is leasing...
    if you have to move in the middle of the lease, are you being charged for the balance of the lease?
    (In most large apt complexes ... yes you will be, but you want to double chk, if it's a single home, most often enough no)
    and if you will be, ask if it's going to be written in the lease stating that fact (EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE IN WRITING)
    Also pertaining to leasing, if there is an increase in rent, pet cost etc... your notification time (most states it's 30 days before the increase and you must be notified by mail) also if you DON'T have a pet (mostly for large apt's) and there is a pet cost increase, will you be exempt?
    Make an appoint to go look at the place, check it out completely, go to the local schools and get info on them, drive thru the neighborhood...
    In a single home rental what is the landlord going to cover in repair costs (cont)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• In a single home rental what is the landlord going to cover in repair costs (cont)
    i.e furnace/hot water tank, electrical and etc...
    also in a single family rental what are YOU going to be responsible for i.e lawn care, outdoor maintenance, snow removal (where needed...lol) etc...
    see the rental also... if it's apt. you want to know about children, do they have a play area, is the pool gated (if one) safety, and believe it or not how many parking spots per tenant is there... also bikes, in most apts now bikes are not allowed nor are skateboarding, rollerblading. if there is carpeting in the hallway entrance of the apt (if not separate entrances) who maintains that and are you allowed to decorate during the holidays on the outside of your door...

I know some of these things sound weird, but you NEED to know this, my dh is a landlord/manger of a lg apt complex and even if they don't ask, he does tell and it's ALL in writing
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Is it quiet? Are pets okay? - You may not have them now, but want them in the future.
    Are there any fees is the rent is late, what date is considered late?
    How are the neighbors?
    If I have problems who do I call (sometimes it's an agency, so it's always good to ask).
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2010