I am always depressed could that be stopping me from getting pregnant?

I have suffered from really bad depression since I was 16 years old. I am always depressed because I am trying to get pregnant and nothing every time i think that i am i find out i am not and it just depresses me more. My doctor tells me there is nothing that is stopping me from getting pregnant but can't figure out why i am not yet any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I suffer from depression also I was diagnosed with PPD.I was stressed,hubby was about to deploy and I was gonna be alone with 2 children.I have been on 3 different MEDs in the past year.one seem to be working great for me.I am happy but just because you take pills doesn't mean your just HAPPY all the time lol. Go talk to your DR. DON'T be scared to take the pills.DONT settle on any if they dont work.Talk about getting pregnant.MOST people worry about depressed people having babies because they think we will kill them lol.THEY dont know a lot about depression and the different types.So go talk to a Dr :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I know this is an off-topic answer and I hope its not harsh but I'd try to find a way of controlling the depression before I got pregnant. The hormonal changes that could happen in your body could cause lots of mental health issues during and after the pregnancy. Also just because you get pregnant or have a baby doesn't mean that you are going to magically be happy and not depressed anymore. But depression can do all sorts of funky things to your body, including causing problems in your menstrual cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• how long have you been trying? Have you been on birth control before trying? If so what kind? Some birth controls (if you were on them) can take up to a year to fully leave your system. While some only take a couple months. I wouldn't think depression would make you not get pregnant. Maybe you are just trying to hard to get pregnant? I have bad depression. I am on medication for it. I just started taking them a few months ago and I got pregnant with both my kids within 1-4 months of trying. Are you getting up right after sex to go to the bathroom? If so that may be the problem too. Try laying on your back after you have sex with your hips elivated for at least 20 minutes that might help. That is what someone told me to do with my first cause I didn't get pregnant after 3 months of trying to I tried this and got pregnant right away. I done this with my second and got pregnant within the month.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes depression can affect you getting pregnant. You need to get it under control and keep an eye on it when you are pregnant. I have seasonal depression. I have found that walking and sunlight really help me. But from time to time is is so bad I need medication to control it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Don't you think its a bad idea to try to conceive if your depression is thay out of control? I mean what are you gonna do when the baby is born . I mean you need to get your depression under control before you go and have kids... YOu can make your life and the babi's life a lot harder...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2010