7 month old & food...

My mom tells me that Im a "bad mom" (literally!!) because I don't feed my 7 month old solids everyday. She is/has been exclusively breast fed & I do feed her solids occasionally, but I thought it was just for fun & learning for them anyways? When I'm eating something, I feed her some of what I'm having, if it's safe for her, of course, & I usually make my own "baby food" & give her cheerios & those Gerber puff things too. Does she really need that nasty baby food everyday?! Her Dr. says I'm doing great, but it just sucks to hear that from your mother, you know...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do think that at 7 months you should be trying to increase the amount of "real food" your baby is eating, but I do not think you are a bad mother for what you are doing. That's just crazy. If your making your own baby food then that is pretty much equivalent to what you would purchase in the stores, and kudos to you on the breast feeding. I wish I could have lasted that long.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• At 7 months old, baby food is not for nutrition - it is for practice. Especially if you're pretty much EBF otherwise. IMO you're doing the best thing for your baby by doing it the way you're doing it. My kids weren't getting solids every day at 7 months either - they didn't til about 8 months. Do what you want to do, especially if your doctor is okay with it - and tell your mother to sod off. Just because people used to feed their kids cereal by 2 months, etc, doesn't mean it was the best and it also isn't the best for babies today. If your baby is happy and healthy, more power to you - you're a good mommy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I didn't start solids with my second until about 7 months, and she didn't get them regularly until closer to 10-11 months. Before a year, it doesn't really matter; like you said, it's just for practice right now anyway. Another thing: my second has never eaten baby food at all. She wouldn't touch it. She went straight to table food and loves it. And she's in perfect health. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My little boy only started getting really interested in solids around 14 months - before that he almost exclusively had breastmilk apart from the odd bits of solid in here. You are a GOOD mother - and sorry but your mother is horrible for suggesting otherwise.

Most babies used to be exclusively breastfed up to a year anyway and if a baby is left to their own device they won't really be interested in solids well into their second year.

There is no need to try and increase solids unless your child wants to - why get stressed about it when your baby doesn't want them? I think people make the parenting thing a lot harder than it has to be. My son is doing fine despite the fact I didn't force solids on him.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• What you are doing is perfectly fine. Keep up the good work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My son wouldn't touch solids until he was 10 months old. I got SUCH a hard time from everyone at his first birthday for not giving him a store bought chocolate cake--the kid had only eaten fruits and veggies, I wasn't gonna subject his poor little tummy to all that sugar, etc! It sucked because there were a lot of women who I really consider good moms giving me a hard time, really made me second guess myself for a little while so I can only imagine it coming from your mom :(

You ARE doing great, try not to let her bother you :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You're doing fine. My MIL is kind of old school and thinks the way things were done when she had her babies 25-30 years ago was just fine even though there is all the new information out there for us moms now. I read up on what I can and do things my way and try not to let her skepticism interfere or make me questions myself. I know that can be hard, especially when it comes from your own mother, but your doctor backs you up so you just have to go with that and have confidence in yourself. You know you will face people who question your parenting tactics, you just hope that doesn't come from your own mother. In a few months she will rely more on food anyway and this debate can be over. Hang in there until then.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• my mom told me 'when are you going to start bottle feeding that baby? breastmilk is only good for the first month"

shrug it off.
    Anonymous