Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Tomorrow I am going to court for child support.
I'm nervous about it b/c I am so unsure how he will act. He's changed so much, I just don't know what to expect from him.
Any advice, or anything??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • (hugs) I wish I could tell you some magical words but I am right there with you. My ex is this person I dont know anymore and I cant figure it out. I just wanted to say be brave, keep your cool, and just tell the truth. best of luck hon.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 10:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • My only advice is to show up there looking good and feeling confident. You deserve the help with your children regardless of what he thinks or how he reacts. Best of luck =)

    Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • dress neatly but not glitzy, just be you. ummm lets see...just rememeber you are going for your kids, not him, not you and you will do just fine.:)

    Answer by Bearsjen at 10:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • Dress very conservatively and nice. Not like an old maid but nice. Closed toed shoes. The family court judges I used to work with did not like sandals and thought it was disrespectful. Some judges didn't even like it when the woman wore pants. Stupid I know. Sexist for sure. While they are not supposed to take that into is there. Make up is to be kept at natural colors. Be courteous and if your ex tries to engage you by baiting you....just don't. Don't call out, don't say, "No, he's lying." Let your lawyer handle that. Just nod your head no slowly and gently once if your ex is saying something unkind or untrue. Judges hate drama. Present your side to the judge and why. That is all you can do. Good Luck.


    Answer by frogdawg at 11:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • OP Here:
    It's just child support and lawyers were so expensive, I didn't get a lawyer.
    My best friend went through the same thing and is giving me lots of wonderful advice, but I'm still nervous...
    Thank you so much ladies - I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • The state's attorney is your cs lawyer. If you are working and not on state aid they will take $25.00 a year out of your cs payments for their services so you are ok. It doesn't matter how he acts, you just remain calm. Dress conservatively (no jeans or tshirts or sandals). Let the state attorney do all the talking. He/She will tell your x what's up and then you go to the Judge to make it an Order. That's all there is.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • OP HERE:
    admckenzie: thank you so very much. that helps alot.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.