IV during labor?

I'm having a hospital birth, but don't want to have an IV. Is that possible? Is it up to the hospital/Dr policy? Has anyone had a hospital birth free of IV's before? With my youngest I was induced, and had that stupid IV in my hand until the day we left the hospital. To me, it was more painful and discomforting than healing from the birth!

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When will you all realize that they are there to serve YOU. "Policy" my butt! They can only give you an IV if you consent to it. They will do everything they can to convince you that you have to do things their way, but you do NOT.

They can only do what you allow them to. If you say "No IV" they can not hold you down and insert it anyway, nor are you breaking any laws, you are simply taking control of your health care. As you should.

Unless you are SEVERELY dehydrated, as in, passed out, unconscious, there is no reason to have an IV unless you are going to have an epidural.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I think it is hospital policy. the iV is to keep u and the baby well hydrated during the whole birth. i don't know if ur aware but during labor your not allowed to eat or drink u can only have ice. I also didn't like havn the iv in my hand and the c-section was painful enough. i hope all goes well i'm due in September so i'm def. not looking forward to the iv at all. good luck :)
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 11:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• If you get an epidural you have to have an IV but if your sure your not getting one you should talk to your doctor and see if you don't have to have one.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I didn't have an IV when I had my second child. Ask, they can always say no. Or call and ask their birthing center. Usually they want to keep you as comfortable as possible. Unless there is a concern or a complication, not sure why you'd need one right away.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• They put the IV in so your blood doesn't clot. I wouldn't want to risk dieing of a blood clot that when to my heart. If you ask every hour if you can take it out now...one of the nurses with let you take it out after around three hours or so. some wont, but others will. Just remember that it's there for a reason.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 11:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have had 2 hospital births... Both induced. Never once had an other than my pitocin... If you are induced you will have to have an IV, there isn't another option for pitocin... And they should leave it in until it's empty because the after birth contractions will help your body to rid itself of any additional tissue or blood clots which could form. But there is no reason for it to be in for all that time. IF they have you on an IV for water, it could be that they are afraid of dehydration, but if you talk to your doctors, before labor, you should be able to find all that out and make choices about it before you go in.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• * GotToHaveFaith

GotTo...
    They put the IV in so your blood doesn't clot. I wouldn't want to risk dieing of a blood clot that when to my heart. If you ask every hour if you can take it out now...one of the nurses with let you take it out after around three hours or so. some wont, but others will. Just remember that it's there for a reason.

___________________________________________

WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!

Unless you have a condition which predisposes you to having clots, child birth does NOT cause them.

The reason they give you an IV is so that they can withhold fluids from you (not allow you to drink), which they also CAN NOT do, if you decide to drink it is illegal for them to take away your beverage. Why is it do hard for people to understand their rights? It is a convenience for the medical staff, and is unnecessary unless you are already under duress.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It is the very first thing they do here. I was told it's not only to add meds but to help make sure you have enough fluids.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• ObbyDobbie - That's what I was thinking too. I know they do not want you to consume any food or beverage in the case of emergecy C-Section...kinda like when you go in for surgery and can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before. My BFF's snuck me some Dr. Pepper when I was in labor with my youngest, lol. No issues because of it. My OB has a pretty low C-Section rate, and is VERY patient oriented so I think i'll discuss it with him at my next visit.

I do plan on having a pain med free birth. The hospital i'm delivering at has a hot tub :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• if your not being induced, and you dont need antibiotics, then there is no reason for an iv. as for with holding fluids, my nurses and doctors never even tried. they recommended stickign to clear liquids, so i had water and apple juice. they even brought me jello.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2010