Antidepressants... do they REALLY work?

I am about to go to the doctor and get some. I have felt that I have been dealing with a lot recently and need help handling the emotions related to them. I have always been very anti-meds because I Truly believe that God will not give you more than you can handle. If this is the case then I shouldn't need meds. I don't understand how they work since they will be fixing nothing. They can't save my house from foreclosure or make my husbands new job pay more. They can't make my boss allow me to have full time hours. They can't cure my son's autism or make my daughter gain weight. They can't fix my mothers congestive heart failure or make fixing my car cost any less... I just don't understand how they will help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Health

• YES!!!

I was the biggest skeptic out there, then had severe depression - they got me on a low dose anti depressant. within a week I felt not really normal but more incontrol of myself and my head.

I was more able to think straight and make conscious decisions. I was able to slow down, and just think and be.

Its not a miracle 'cure' but they do help.
    Anonymous

• Taking an antidepressant without therapy is like taking pain killers for a broken leg without getting a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'm kind of yay and nay on this subject because I once was on anti depressant meds. At first they do help you become less stressed, more happier, and easier to deal with issues going on. However, I also believe your body gets use to them and you end up having to either have a higher dose or find something stronger or better that works. I had to take them because of deaths in the family really messed up my mind, I needed them at the time and then when they stopped working they just made me more depressed, gave me false hope, and I wasn't able to show emotion or solve problems by myself because I had to dependant on a medicine to help me overcome things. I stopped taking them (through a medical help never stop taking without consulting your doctor) It took a year for me to actually overcome depression but with the help of therepy, and friends/family I figured out a way to resolve my issues without medication.
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 3:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2010