Circus...

Has anyone ever been to the circus? We took the kiddos to one last night for the first time. We had SO MUCH fun! My 3 and 4 year old got to ride an elephant, which they were so excited about. I was having more fun than I can remember ever having. I felt like a kid again. If you've never been to one, I definitely recommend it! It's worth the money. Just make sure to eat before you go, b/c the food is ridiculously expensive.

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Did you have protesters there? I took my DD a few times and every time there were all these animal rights protesters yelling at the kids about abusing animals. But we had a good time anyway :)
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• They were but they just stood at the gate handing out flyers. They were pretty calm. I would be upset if they were yelling at us! lol.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i don't go to any circus because the animals are all abused and neglected. seriously google "circus animal neglect" i know the circus is really fun and exciting for children, but if you only knew the things that go on, you would not be paying theses people. they should all be in jail! and just so you all know, i'm not a PITA freak or even a vegetarian. im just not for animal abuse.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• umm bestmommyeber --- you mean PETA not pita right? pita is a pocketbread. maybe you're not looking at the right circuses! seriously....the ones you get when you google are the 'bad ones'.

we go every year to the Shrine Circus! I grew up going and now my girls get to go every year! its actually coming to town next weekend and the one after that! my girls are SOOO excited.

my Grampa was a shriner too (he got to drive the little plane)

Its great fun, sadly they do have the protestors - not sure what exactly they accomplish - other than scaring the kids.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have been when I was a kid, but I would not go now that I am an adult. I agree about the animal cruelty, I just don't want to support it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I can see where ya'll are coming from about the animal cruelty. The one we went to had 3 elephants, several ponies, and several dogs. As for the dogs and ponies, I could tell they were really happy out there performing. They were givin treats when they did good, and the "handlers" didn't carry any kind of stick or shocker. I felt sorry for the elephants b/c they're so big I know they get cramped, but the people were really nice to them, too. I know it's not the "ideal" life for an elephant, but as far as zoos and circuses go, it really wasn't that bad. I know some places ARE cruel to the animals, but I didn't get that vibe from these people. They seemed to genuinely care about the animals. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would never support an industry that uses large wild animals for rides and recreation, esp considering how they train them. Do you think they take an untrained multi-ton elephant and just ask it politely? Not a chance. You only saw the effects of the training, not the training itself. Those poor animals... :(
    Anonymous

• yes i meant PETA but it doesn't matter. no animal belongs in a circus. it's cruel. shriners and ringling brothers are as guilty as any other
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• SADLY THEY DO HAVE PROTESTERS? are you for real, hypermamaz? I think that's an awfully ignorant thing to say.

What they're trying to accomplish is not scaring your kids, it's informing and educating them. Shouldn't you do the same?
    Elephants belong in the wild, not a sports arena or whatever.

Thank goodness they have protesters, not "sadly". They aren't there to annoy you, they're there before they're sickened you're paying a cover charge to have animals beaten and battered. Do you goto cockfights too? It's LITERALLY the same thing. Animals as entertainment.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Oh, geesh. Didn't mean to open a can of worms. lol. Just out of curiosity, do you guys go to the zoo? Aquariums? Do ya'll watch movies/tv that has wild animals in them?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2010