off the bottle

my dd is 15 months old. she has a bottle when she wakes up and before bed and a straw sippy cup all day which she loves. i tried last night to get her to drink her milk from her sippy cup instead of her bottle and i had the hardest time getting her to drink even a few ounces. she did better this morning but i have a feeling that night time is going to be very hard and im afraid she wont get as much milk as shes been getting. is there anything i can do to make this easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I worked for 4 years in the baby room at a daycare and I am the mother of 2 and the easiest way to switch over is to stop using the bottle at all. She will eventually get over it knowing she has no other choice. Bottom line is if she really wants the milk, she'll drink it no matter what kind of cup it is in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• my daughter is now 24 months and i had the same problem. ur baby is to young to completely take the bottle. at night and in the morning is ok as long as ur baby inst drinking from a bottle all the time and knows how to use a sippy. A baby's bottle is its security. I got my daughter off completely by just slowly eliminating the bottle. i would skip days in between and eventually she didn't notice she wasn't using her bottle any more. i hope this helps. :)
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 11:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• she doesnt cry for her bottle or anything.. she never had it in her crib or even held it on her own so that parts easy. im just afraid she wont be getting enough milk now without it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• they only need 24 ounces of dairy a day. That includes milk, yogurt, cheese ect. There is probably nothing to worry about. To much milk can actually cause problems such as anemia.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I agree with the above post. What is the big rush? Go at your own pace. It seems that everyone is in a rush to do what "is recommended" or "do what others do". This applies to potty training too. Go at your own pace. Make your own way. Let your little one be the guide. When you let them do things at their own pace it will make for a happier Baby & Mom & a more relaxed day. Best wishes:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You need to get rid of the bottle - it's best to do it right before they turn one. She should be eating at the table with you. She should not be having a bottle or cup at bedtime.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 12:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I just got rid of all the bottles at 15 months and gave her a sippy only. It took a couple of days to adjust, then she was fine. I know every doctor is different, but our pediatrician advised us to be off the bottle completely by 18 months. We started introducing the sippy at 12 months, but she wouldn't transition, so at 15 months I just did the tough love approach.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I agree with the very first answer.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2010