My son has horrible diaherrea and dr won't do anything about it....is there anything I can do to help him?

I have tried yogurt from grocery store and its not helping and everything he eats goes straight through him right now. He has had this for 5 days now and his lil hiney is so raw from it too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• BRAT diet
    bananas
    rice
    applesauce
    toast

Don't give juice, it will run through and make the butt hurt even more
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Have you took him to the doctors? I don't think that's normal at all, however there is a stomach bug going around. I would just make sure to keep him hydrated with pedi lyte , see if he will eat some crackers, and just let it run its course.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• pedialyte and soda crackers or rice...definetly make sure you keep him hydrated tho!! hope he feels better soon!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i asked this same question yesterday! there must be something going around. DD isn't even sick, but her diarrhea is terrible! we're doing the BRAT diet. we started yesterday afternoon, and she seems a little better today. good luck. hope your little guy feels better soon :)
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• give him bread and it he is still in diapers,heck even undies air him out for a sometime during the day...take him out by the sun with a long shirt or something..put some corn starch and let his sweet bootie air dry and make sure he is getting pedialite or something so he doesnt dehydrate.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Be sure to keep him hydrated; Pedialyte is good for that, stay away from dairy and juice. And I've heard great things about the BRAT diet, as well.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• yes put him on a special diarrhea formuls. It's soy based it helped our baby alot. abd brat also, It really works but have to give him those foods at every meal an nothing else but water
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My son (5 mos, EBF) had diareah for almost two weeks.. We tested his stool and everything was fine. Finally it passed and was just some sort of stomach bug... So I cant help with that part, But after spending way too much money on different diaper rash creams trying to help his poor little butt get better I used bag balm at every diaper change( in the green tin) and within a day it was all cleared up. I will never use anything else. I hope he feels better soon! Good luck
    MrsRudd

Answer by MrsRudd at 1:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Bananas, rice and plenty of water so he doesn't dehydrate. Sugar free Popsicles are good too!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It might just be rotavirus which takes FOREVER to get over. Stop giving him all dairy - including yogurt. the inner lining of his intestines has been shredded, and with that you lose your ability to process milk. So every glass of milk you give him, will make it worse. Switch him over to soy milk for the next two weeks to give his intestines time to heal. Gatorade is fine - in fact is has LESS sugar than pedialyte. Don't give him anything rich or fatty, as he won't be able to process fat well either.

As for his bum - go to the drug store and get a tube of zinc oxide cream, a small tube of 1% cortisone cream, and a small tube of Lamisil. Mix it up with a spoon in a resealable container and use it on his butt for every diaper change unil his diaper rash and diarrhea is gone
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2010