Questions for moms that are stay at home babysitters...how much time should I take off when I have the newest addition?

I am due this coming September. I babysit for a few families in my home and one of the moms asked me today how much time I thought I would need to get adjusted.
I don't think I'll need the typical 6 week post partum because I'll be at home anyway and I don't want to leave these other mamas hanging for too long...we all know how we rely on our sitters!
But I know I will need some time to get adjusted and for the baby to get adjusted..and then I am worried about the GERMS...eek! lol
I don't know. What do you guys think?
Thanks!!! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would say 3 weeks. I have to have c-sections, and even after the surgeries I was up and about and getting into a routine again at about 3 weeks PP. I'm not a babysitter for others, but have 3 children that I stay at home with (3.5 yr old, 2 yr old and 4 month old).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Is this your first baby?
    Anonymous

• You may not need teh 6 weeks but your baby will. Do yo ureally want to subject your newborn to all those germs? I wouldn't and can't just hide the baby in another room all day.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Personally, I would take at least 6 weeks if I could afford to.
    Anonymous

• No, this isnt my first baby, this is my 3rd child. I've only been a stay at home mom and babysitting out of my home for a little over a year now. What does that have to do with it, anyway? lol
    Anyhow...I wouldn't hide my baby in another room all day :/
    Ummm...are you guys stay at home babysitters by any chance?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would wait at least 6 months, It's horrible when they get sick at such a young age. The other moms will just have to understand, unless u wanna dip all the kids iin bleach. lol
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i babysit outof my home and im due in the summer. im having twins so maybe this is why i choose this for me..but i decided that im not going to continue to babysit. i know im no help.lol but i have a 3yr old and the newborn twins and the babies i watch are infants as well. but if i feel like i can do it later on than i will...but id say at least 6 weeks for you.good luck
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I thought she asked if it was you first baby maybe because with that first you don't know what to expect really and could use the extra time to adjust to all the changes and to figure out what the heck you are doing, plus with your first it is really the only time you have no other kids to focus on but the newborn.
    Anyway, I would say take the six weeks if you can get away with it. I mean, if you were to take say 4 weeks the parents have to find temporary care for that long anyway so what is another two weeks? The longer you have to recover and bond with the new baby, and let your other kids adjust to the new arrival as well, the better. You don't get this time back and it isn't very often you have the time off to just focus on your kids. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'd worry if I took any more than a week that my customers would make other arrangements and I'd have no business left. If you do not need the income, take the 6 weeks, otherwise, I take the minimum amount of time.

Anonymous

• I am no longer an inhome provider, I would at least take 4 weeks. Just remember, your hormones will be adjusting, the baby will have doctor appointments. Childcare mentally and physically wore me out, I can't imagine doing it too soon with a newborn.
    Anonymous