grounding?

What exactly do you make "you're grounded mean?" Come home and stay in your room w/out computer, DS, playing w/friends, playing outside? How long do you usually ground for say... disrespecting you?? Or not following rules?? Need some advice. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I take away stuff it's "Until I'm not pissed off anymore" so it really varies.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• "You're grounded" means that they don't get any privileges. No phone, tv, computer, video games, friends over, etc. Maybe chores (that is what my parents did). And the time fits the crime, so it would depend on what he did. If it's a respect issue, then until he can be respectful, he doesn't get any privileges.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'm working on the same thing for my 8 year old... right now grounding means not leaving the house and really getting him where it hurts by allowing no technology (tv, video games, computer). Just working on setting some guidelines, like what get's him grounded and for how long...
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I guess what I'm hoping for is that if I can be harsh enough his behaviors may change and he won't have to be grounded any more, because when he's grounded it certainly isn't fun for me!!! I'm so sick of hearing "there isn't anything to do!!"
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The idea is that the punishment has to be bad enough to invoke change. If it's not a harsh punishment, then he's not going to learn from what he did. So you must take away the things he values and let him EARN them back. Then he learns that he can't do the behavior anymore and get away with it. But it takes consistency
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• After being "grounded" for 4+ years straight... I don't do grounding. There is no point. My kids are sent to their room from time to time, but never for to long. Punishment should fit the crime, grounding fits and fixes nothing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• With our 7 yr old we grounded him from his dirt bike until Dad returns home from work, which is about 4 weeks. He has to prove to me he can be more respectful and no talking back, smart mouth etc... For our 13 yr old, he lost all of his privileges until the end of the school yr and then he will get them back based on his grades. They have to be consistent, and all work has to be turned in, and on time. Not the actual grade so much, but it will be based on the effort he makes. It's been an ongoing issue over the past school yr. We have internet access to his grades so we have been keeping an eye on his progress and once in a while he will be rewarded for his efforts. But he won't get all of it back until the end of the yr.. That's how we "GROUND". Oh and we stick to our word no matter what!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would agree with all the comments above. Why is it that kids think that playing outside or in their rooms is a punishment. I think it's because kids these days are so drawn or almost addicted to technology.

Anonymous

• Grounding is huge in our household because none of the kids want to lose the Ipods, or Ds, phone, or computer. When I mention grounded, they get into shape really fast. I usually take away the "MAIN" thing they enjoy. My 15 year old worship his Ipod touch, and he always behave because he know, I'll snatch it from him quickly. For instance; he made a "D" on his last report card, and I was furious because I knew he could have done better. The Ipod touch was taken from him for 3 weeks, and you would think he was going to go into a deep depression. The teacher informed me that he is improving. If I threaten my 7 year old niece to take her MP3 player, she will shape up too. I guess it work for most kids.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• How old of a child?

Answer by admckenzie at 1:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010