Is there a mechanic in the house?

Really... I think this has something to do with the gas I got yesterday. Can't say for SURE but it didnt start until I put $20 in my tank at a local service station. It started "jerking" (skipping?) at about 40mph, and would stop once I got up to 45... then got worse. The jumping (and its felt throughout the entire car) happens whenever I accelerate softly, I have to "gun it" to get it to stop jerking. Biggest problem is when I'm trying to maintain my speed going up an incline. Then, it started backfiring. Not like huge "BOOM" kinda backfire, but a lil "putt" or cough I can hear from the drivers side.

Any idea what it could be or what I should do about it? Not really wanting to take it to a mechanic b/c we are supposed to be going somewhere and dont have the $$ to spend on a mechanic.... of course, there's no point in going on vacation if the car is broken, right? Thanks, ladies!

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband(master mechanic) recommends that you go to your local auto parts store and get Heet(yellow bottle)and it will remove all water from the gas.

Read the back of the bottle and follow it, might have to get more than one bottle of your tank is bigger,etc. But he says this should help get rid of the water in the gas.

If have extra money, buy a bottle of Redline fuel injector cleaner and pour about 1/2 bottle into the gas tank(disregard instructions on bottle he said).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Sounds to me like you got some bad gas that had water in it. I've had that happen a few times. Once you use it up your car should go back to normal.
    Anonymous

• By any chance was the tanker there re-filling the pumps? Never fill up right after the tanker or during the tanker filling up. Trash and water gets into the gas and mess up your fuel filter. It does sound like you got some bad gas. The best thing to do is to either siphon the gas out or ride it through and just keep filling your tank up. I would HIGHLY suggest you getting your fuel filter changed (if you have one).
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Did you happen to put the wrong grade of fuel in your car? Most the pumps around here are in the same order, but every once in a while I'll see one that has them out of order. Change the fuel filter and possibly the spark plugs if you like, because it's always best to do that before a trip. Helps out on the gas mileage too.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2010