how do i get my son to stop taking a bottle in the middle of the night?

mason is amost a year and wakes up once a night to eat and i really want him to get out of the habbit i mean its deminished from 3 bottles to 1 but still i need him to stop all together

roardiva

Asked by roardiva at 10:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try giving him oatmeal or a snack RIGHT before bed so he will be full, than maybe he wont want a bottle in the middle of the night.
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 10:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My daughter is almost 10 Months old and started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks. About a month ago she started waking up in the middle of the night EVERY night. I tried everything I thought would work but kept failing. I eneded up making an appointment with her doctor and he said not to give her any milk at night if I she need a drink to give her water. He said to do that because some kids will form a habbit of needing to eat in the middle of the night and by giving the baby water she will stop waking up for the milk.

Hope thatwas helpful and good luck.
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I did the water thing with my son. When he would wake up for his bottle I would give it to him with water. He wasn't too happy about it but eventually it worked and I was able to stop giving him the water too.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 11:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• MY SON IS 10MOS AND HE DRINKS BETWEEN 2 TO 3 BOTTLES AT NIGHT. I'VE ACTUALLY TRY GIVING HIM WATER BUT HE KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE, HE TAKES THE BOTTLE OFF HIS MOUTH AND WON'T GO BACK TO SLEEP. IF YOU FIND ANYTHING PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!
    VERONICACP

Answer by VERONICACP at 12:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my dd has a water bottle for bed time and so she has something to comfort her - she doesnt want to eat in the middle of the night any more.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I did this for my daughter. She was six months. When he wakes, let him cry. It may only be for a few minutes. If it's more, go in and pat him, reassure him. The next night, same thing. He is old enough that he doesn't need the bottle, he is wanting it out of habit. That is what I learned when I researched what to do. If you are patient and reassuring, he will adjust. Hope it is quick and easy like it ended up for me.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Changing eating habits before bed do nothing for your babies sleep. Some babies wake up at night once for while it will eventually stop. But, healthy sleep habits, happy baby... awesome book... basically a bible, this will have all your answers. Bottles at bed can also cause bottle rot, its like a cavity under the gums which needs surgery to fix.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I slowly reduced the amount that I fed him by an oz each night and then gave him the pacifier right afterward. Now I occasionally have to go in and pop the pacifier back in his mouth but no more night time feedings and he's starting to wake up less.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Is he really eating it when he wakes up for feeding? If he does eat then i dont' see why you stop him.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 4:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2008