So I need to know!!! Whats your opinion...

Do you feel like it would be anyones business or place for a family member to say something about how your child is learning? If your kid is 2.5 and is not talking I mean obviously the parent already knows this why would they need to be told by a family member? I don't know what do you think? Just curious as to what the majority has to say on this is...

shamillionaire

Asked by shamillionaire at 1:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• People are gonna give you their two cents whether you like it or not. Should they? Sometimes no. Will they YOU BETCHA! Just let it go. There's nothing you can do about their opinions and such.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The family member should already know why the child does not talk. I would imagine.

Answer by louise2 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Oh its not my child. I just read a question posted in a group and I told her she shouldn't say anything that I'm sure the parents know and she said I was being rude. But I wasn't trying to be rude, I just feel like the parents already have a good idea that their kiddo can't talk yet and whats the point in telling them...
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 1:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• If my family said something about how my child is learning I would think that they just love and care about my child.

Anonymous

• Well... I believe that early intervention is the BEST thing a parent can do for a child that may be falling behind. NOW is the time to get her help if she needs it. If Parents are unable or unwilling to accept that the child may need help and they are NOT willing to at least go have an assessment, then other people (god bless em) should step up and advocate for the child.

Swallow your pride and get her evaluated! After that you will know either (a) she is developing just fine and you can tell your family to suck-t, or (b) she needs intervention. Possibly speech therapy.

Anonymous

• You're right, I'm willing to bet at this point, the parents already are aware and telling them is only going to make them feel inadequate.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would think that they are saying something out of concern and maybe seeing nothing is being done for the child. Being 2.5 and not talking usually means something is not right, and the earlier you catch what is wrong the better for the child.

Answer by older at 1:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

Yes, but do they know about early intervention and what it could do for their child? Do they know that most EI services are state funded and will cost them nothing?

Anonymous

• Well, I guess it would be the way they said it to me. Like, if it was my mom and she came to me and started a conversation about the way one of my kids talked, I would be open to discuss it. But if she came to me pointing fingers and acting like I was just ignoring the problem and not doing anything about it, then yeah I would be upset.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I think that if the parent is clueless, and it is definitely an issue with the child, that it is okay for a close family member to bring it up in a non confrontational way. Some parents seriously don't realize that their child might have a problem. It depends on the situation, I suppose.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2010