How do you put your kid to sleep at night?

I'm having trouble with this, and I'm wondering what you do with your child. Also, what age you started doing this would be helpful! Thanks ladies! :D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 19 months. We started a "routine" at 8 weeks... of course, it has varied since then! He does bath at 5:30, milk at 6ish, playtime with daddy when he gets home, dinner with us. Then the bedtime routine; our target time is 7:30. We tell him "it's time to go night-night." He gives daddy a hug/kiss and also tells the dog goodnight (he gets upset if he does tell the dog, too, haha). We brush teeth, change diaper, turn on soothing music. Then we read about 3 books and I turn off his lamp and we rock for a minute or two. Into bed. Mom and Dad relax :-).
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I kill all of the lights (they are not afraid of the dark- have never had a night light), tell them good night, and I will see them in the morning. They lay down, and go to sleep.

I have always done bed time this way, and only after the separation (ex-husband kidnapped our son) was it a problem. At that point I would sit on the floor next to the door, and instruct him to get into his bed, cover up, and snuggle his babies each time he got up. after a couple of weeks doing that, he went back to a normal routine.

Kids will not be afraid of the dark if they are not given a reason to be- it is proven that it disrupts their sleep cycles, and is not beneficial to them to fall asleep with, or to use a night light.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• When they where old enough to understand around 1or 2. I would anounce that it was almost time for bed. Time to go brush teeth take baths etc... Then I would say. Time for bed. My DD's knew bedtime was bedtime. Know getting around it. Then they would go to bed.

Answer by louise2 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• we've had the same "routine" since he was a baby.

we eat dinner. he goes straight into the bath. then it's pj's and we'll play for a bit, maybe watch a little tv. he then gets his warm milk and his blankie and relaxi's with mamma or daddy. then we brush our teeth, and it's straight to bed.
    he usually goes to bed between 8 - 9 pm. just depends on the day sometimes.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My girls are 19 months and almost 3. They share a room and share a schedule. This has been more-or-less the same schedule we've kept for the past 2.5 years, though.

Clean up toys an hour before target bedtime (this varies slightly for different times of the year, or with time changes, etc. Right now we shoot for lights out at 8pm so clean-up at 7). Bath. Pjs. Brush teeth and hair. We read books for about 10-15 minutes depending on how long the bath was. Then we sit on the loveseat in their room, turn out the lights (my big girl gets to count to three for lights out, and my little one shuts the door). We sing a few songs (by request these days) in the dark, all together (my husband, too, when he's not working) on the couch. Then I put each in their bed and kiss and hug goodnight. They are aloud to get out of bed once to go potty and still be tucked in again, but no more. They just chat/sing themselves to sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• sorry, allowed, not aloud!
    And I forgot, there's one last potty trip for everyone right after books and before songs.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010