What should she do?

OK so when I moved 1 year ago I moved with my mother and 2 months later I moved out due to her upstairs neighbors. They had their children outside right in fron of mine and DDs window at all hours of the night and morning yelling and being loud even after I told them my DD was sleeping(she was 1 1/2 then) and they would bang loudly on the floor(my ceiling) and yell and scream obsesnties to where my DD was in a toxic envornment because of my neighbors. My mom got a roomate to help pat my half of the rent and all was fine and good until her roomate could not handle it anymore. Now my mom is having trouble paying all the rent because it is too much for her with out a roomate and nobody will move in there. She has paid her half and but can not afford the other half. I feel bad for leaving but we agreed it was best for my DD and that was more important to my mom. Anyway can she either sue the neighbors?

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• She needs to start by filing a complaint with her landlord and then by calling the police when they are harassing her and being loud. We actually went through this exact same thing several years ago. We would literally have to call the police twice a week.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Or could she tell the lanlord she can only afford ghalf until he gets rid of them and she can get a roomate? Also they leave garbage everywhere outside and they stold my brothers scooter(which she told the landlord about) and they have fought so bad and I guess one of the 7 kids that are in the 4 bedroom apt got pushed or something into the wall so hard a shelf fell and my mom can not hang up any art work in the livingroom because they bang so hard they fall. Really she can not get a roomate with them and can not afford it on her own and now I feel guilty...What should she do?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• lacid- she has spoken to the landlord several times and I think she has called the cops one time when they hit one of the kids so hard he fell so hard on the ground that one of my mom spaintings fell off the wall. The thing is is that she can not afford the place on her own and is I think half a month behind because of it. My poor mom.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Im pretty sure only paying half the rent would be a violatin of her lease and she could and most likely would be evicted. Does she call the police? If they have children maybe she should try calling child protective services.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• That really sucks. I hope everything works out for her. I hate rude neighbors.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• She cannot sue the neighbors. The only thing she can do is file a formal complaint with the apartment complex management.
    Really, what should be done is you help her out with the rent and then allow her to move in with you. That or you two find a place together that you both can afford equally. That way you both have a place to live and you're both living in a safe environment.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• This is why I try not to live in apartments. Dealing with noisy neighbors. They only thing she can do is complain to the landlord/manger or move out.

Answer by louise2 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Jazz I can not pay my rent and pay half of hers. I am not waelthy and I am supporting my DD on my own. She can not move in with me because I live with someone and we have no room for her and my brother(who's 16) and I refuse to live with my brother anymore because he is a typical teenager and we do not get along so. She is looking for another place but for now she can not afford the whole rent because she can not get a roomate. I do feel guilty that I left but it was in the best intrest of my DD and she comes first before anyone. If it was just me I would have staied because i really don't care but for my DD I had to go. Oh and it's not a complex and she has complained to the landlord has shown him the house and how bad it has been that pictures are down because of it a shelf I had left there that I nailed into the wall had fallen and taken pictures of the mess they leave outside.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2010