Breastfeeding/bottle feeding question

So it occured to me... how come so many moms jump all over you if you let your child have a bottle after a year, but are quite happy to breastfeed until well past a year? Sometimes into toddlerhood...

Both things bug me. I let my son decide when to give up the bottle. I was repeatedly told that I had to wean him off it cold turkey at a year but I never saw the point, so I didn't. And he survived, lol. (And don't tell me it ruins their teeth... if your baby's bottle is ruining their teeth, you are giving them too much sugar and using the wrong type of nipple!)

I also will NEVER understand those moms who are still breastfeeding when their children are walking and talking. Just don't get it.

So why is there this double standard? Anyone know?

coffee.crisp

Asked by coffee.crisp at 1:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you saying it was exclusively bfing moms who told you to wean him from the bottle? I doubt that's true.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't really matter if you get it... but as to the bottle, they don't say wean off of formula, they say wean off of the bottle. As to bottles vs breasts, they're quite different in shape. Babies suck with a different pattern from each. With bottles, its with the front of the mouth. With nursing, their jaw puts a lot of suction towards the back. Hence, it doesn't cause tooth issues. Perhaps YOUR baby has no issues, but there are millions of other babies in the world.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• popcorn

Anonymous

• i agree with whiterose, breastfeeding and bottle feeding are two totally different things. cant really even compare the two.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Wasn't there a recent study done that said tooth decay in young kids isn't from bottle use, but from genetics?
    Anonymous

• No, it wasn't exclusively breastfeeding moms who "told" me to wean off the bottle. That isn't what I was saying. I have just seen this happen a hundred times and was wondering why. Frankly, it seems to me like many, many people don't think about what they are doing and saying and it bothers me. And yet, when I ask WHY, rather than answer thoughtfully, people just get mad and defensive.

Oh well. Guess that answers my question :)
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 2:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Continuing to breastfeed after a year continues to have benefits, both for the child's health and wellness in the form of antibodies and beneficial hormones as well as emotional bonding experiences and comfort AND in jaw development.

Formula feeding after a year doesn't contain any benefits. At that point having a bottle can really mess up their jaw and tooth development. Not talking about bottle rot here, the actual development of the bones in the jaw and the way the teeth come in are altered, and may require orthodontic treatment to be corrected.

It's not that no one wants a toddler to have a bottle. I wish that they could continue to have the bottle longer, because it's their source of comfort, but it really does mess with their jaw development. That's why breastfeeding can continue past a year and bottle feeding cannot.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Hi Coffee.crisp! I'm with you! I did the same thing with my Son. His teeth are perfect! God Forbid you don't do what everyone is TOLD to do! We all need to lighten up a bit and RELAX. Raise your kids how YOU want not how others TELL you to!!! Bravo!
    Anonymous

• Oh Poooo. I used a bottle for over 2 years!!!! It is always the BF Moms who have all the answers as to what could happen on the BOTTLE!! My Sons Jaw & teeth are Perfect! I guess ALL the Professionals were wrong! Oh my!
    Anonymous

• This is a silly comparison. First of all, FF moms that make the bottle to sippy switch are giving their toddlers cows milk, where as BFing moms choose to give their babies human milk rather than cow's milk. Second, bottles harm a child's tooth development while the breast does not.

If you don't "get it" then simply don't BF your little ones when they are toddlers. But those of us that do BF past the first year because we are informed and want what is best for our kids just want to be left alone. BFing our toddlers isn't harming anyone. So quit trying to start something.
    Anonymous