How would you teach your 6 yr. old dd how to understand counting by 2's?

She has a number chart from 1 through 100 we go down the rows and for some reason she gets confused or looses her place. I was trying so hard not to loose my cool but damn she kept doing this all I know is I slept very well after she went to bed...lol That girl wore me out...lol I don' t want to get upset with bc she is a little girl and still learning and I don' t want her to get discouraged either.
Thanks for listening ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I taught my dd with crayons. I would pull out two crayons and ask her how many are there...2, then I added 2 more, and that made 4, then 2 more, etc... You get the point. You can also teach her it by doing even numbers, I taught my dd evens and odds by telling her that even numbers have a partner and odds don't.
    Anonymous

• Maybe try showing her with Cheerios? Show her what it means so that she can understand.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• you could pretend to forget to count a number. point to number 1, put your finger over your mouth and give a wink, point to and say 2, point to 3, put a finger over your mouth and give a wink, and go on to 4.
    tangibles like mompam said as well. practice practice and more practice!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I taught my son to count by 2's 5's and 10's in the car, simply by doing it myself, and then having him repeat, or do it with me. He would pick a number (like 100, or 60, or 10), and say count to that number by 2's, and I would do it. Then he would say, now by 5's, and I would do it, and then by 10's. It didn't take too long for him to pick it up, and he was able to do it all on his own. We turned the "game" around, and I would pick a number, and tell him to count to it by 2's, 5's, or 10's. I never made him play, I just one day turned off the radio, and began counting out loud. He heard me doing it, and wanted to do it too. Repetition is the key, but making it fun is also important. If it's too much like a chore, you're going to get a lot of resistance.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• M&M's.
    Skittles.
    Apple Jacks.

1, 2 buckle my shoe song.
    Make up a song.
    2,4,6,8 who do we appreciate? 10!!!!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I taught my dd evens and odds by telling her that even numbers have a partner and odds don't

whaaaaaaat??????
    Anonymous