Am I crazy for thinking my 6 year old may be gay? Anyone else feel this way?

You know how on tv when guys come out , their mother's always say, " I always knew." I feel like that, I think my son may be gay. I love him and he is a happy little boy...except for catching hell from a younger and older sister. I would love him exactly the same and never treat him any different whether he is gay or not. But , I can't help but worry...not because I don't want him to be gay, It's just that to me life is hard, people can be really cruel, I just want him to be happy, and I feel like being gay would make his life more difficult. I know it sounds terrible of me. And honestly my reasons thinking he is gay are probably shallow and all wrong. He is very sensitive, and loving, he loves to sing and dance and is good at both. He is quite particular about his appearance, more so than the girls...I know it sounds sillyu and shallow of me, I just worry for him. go ahead lemme hear it! I'll take the bad with the good..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just love him for who he is...gay or straight. my son loves to play with makeup and sometimes plays dress up with his sisters but i don't think that means he likes other boys in a sexual way
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He's probably not gay for that. He's more likely going to be like my husband who loves music, loves theater, loves getting dressed up, spends more time in the bathroom getting fixed up than I do, and all that jazz. We call it "metrosexual". He's big into his personal appearance. But he's straight.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes u can tell that young I think my nephew is he dances around like a girl more so than his sister. Who cares though really is what I say about it.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would not judge you. That is why we are all here because we have questions and issues. What other particular things does he do that makes you feel this way? Maybe since he has two Sisters he emulates them and when he gets bigger and has more male friends he will emulate them instead.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you can really tell till they start the change into man hood. at a young age, most kids are the same, girls are like boys and boys are like girls. They play the same and think the same, untill they are tweens and start to notice that they like boys and girls...it really doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't worry just yet. That's just what I think, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would feel differently about it.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Love him for who he is and will grow up to be. Do not try to force him to be macho. You never know. You might be wrong. He might be just different then other boys. Not all boys that like to dance and sing are gay.

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I agree with the above posters!
    Just love him and let him do what he likes.

If he IS gay, most people become aware of it in themselves by around age 9 or so...before puberty but after a sense of self awareness (or so my gay friends have told me!)
    No amount of macheezmo is going to knock the "gay" out of him if he is...it will only risk making him hate himself or make him a total homophobe later on.
    If he's not gay...you'll have brought up a well rounded son who is not a cliche` :)

Anonymous

• I used to work with children. You can definitely tell at that age. I have a gay friend who knew at 5.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Maybe it's just a phase let him be him right now try getting him into some activity like baseball, football, basketball but of course whatever the out come we love our kids no matter what.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He's only 6 yrs old, yes you are crazy.
    Anonymous