anyone out there had a vaginal birth after 2 c-sections?

If so what were the circumstances and how did it go? My first c-section was emergency after a long, long labor. Second was elective (they were only 15 months apart and we just moved to a new city). I still really want to have a vaginal birth with my third child but I'm still not sure why the first baby was not able to be born vaginally (she was not big or breach or anything of the sort).

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 2:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your risk of uterine rupture is still under 1% after two C-sections. A VBA2C is TOTALLY possible!

What state are you in?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I had 2 c-sections. The first was emergency. The second was because the ob didn't perform VBAC. He says the risk of uterine rupture is too great, as well as many other factors that can harm or potentially kill you.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Indiana. With my second baby they were open to a c-section though not supportive ... it was a "well, we can't stop you from trying" kind of thing. But that was with the OB I could find last-minute (we moved into Indiana 4 weeks before my due date). I could not imagine trying to have a VBAC with that sort of half-assed support (pardon my French). And even my midwife in Philadelphia, where I was before, wasn't totally all for the idea since they were so close together and also since we weren't sure why my first natural, vaginal birth didn't work out.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Okay, in Indiana midwifery is illegal, so if you want to homebirth, you will need to hire an underground midwife, a doctor or CNM who does homebirths or go unassisted.

In order to get a VBAC you need to find a supportive provider who works in a supportive hospital. 60% of American hospitals still "allow" VBACs. If you don't have a VBAC friendly hospital near you, I would recommend getting really well informed, get a supportive doula, and contact ICAN. www.ican.org. There is a load of information on that site about how to achieve VBAC in a hospital that is not VBAC friendly.

Are you pregnant now, or are you planning for the future?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Planning for the future... I didn't think midwifery was illegal in Indiana... I mean, I do know that there are CNMs... is that not what you mean?

I would happily have tried for a home birth the first time around, but I would never, ever want to risk that with even a 1% risk of uterine rupture. I'm just torn... because, as I said, even the midwife I had before did not think I was a great VBAC candidate... my baby did not descend into the birth canal even though she was in the best position to do so, and I only dilated to 6cm before I started swelling back shut. Even the 6cm was with pitocin (which I did not agree to have until beyond 48 hours of active labor). I know that "failure to progress" and c-sections are both overused, but I labored hard and heavy for a LONG time at home with a supportive doula and I had a very supportive midwife. I still long for a natural birth but I wonder if I'd even have the confidence...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Certified nurse-midwifery and direct-entry (homebirth) midwifery are two very different things. CNMs are part of the medical model... they look for pathology. Direct-entry midwives are apprentice-trained and do not. They spen dmore time with their clients, run fewer tests and have outcomes every bit as good, sometimes better, than any hospital birth statistics.

VBAC at home is safe when you consider that 99% of uterine ruptures are not catastrophic, and it takes 30 minutes to prep an OR anyway. If you live within 30 minutes of the hospital, you will likely recieve a C-section for a uterine rupture just as fast as you would if you were laboring IN the hospital.

It's possible that your midwife didn't see you as a great VBAC candidate because she is looking for pathology where there is none. It's totally possible that your daughter was in a less than favorable position for birth. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You should definately get a copy of your medical records from your first C-section and see what her presentation was. If she WAS in an unfavorable position, that is usually easily correctable. If she wasn't, if she was in LOA and totally ready to rock and roll, there are a lot of other factors that cause labor distocia (which is what you experienced, where labor stops, doesn't progress or even goes backward), and I would be happy to go over those with you if you would like :)

In any case, having had a hard, long first labor, regardless of baby's position, is NOT an indicator of how your will labor in the future.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me... My midwife did look at my surgery records when I got preg. with my second and she couldn't find anything indicating anything out of the ordinary. She actually seemed surprised at how little information she got from that... I'm not sure what that means exactly. My first birth experience was so great (at first) and then so traumatic when it didn't work out as planned, that I tend to look at my second birth experience (one I thought I would never choose) of elective c-section in a very positive light. Part of it was that I prepared myself mentally and part of it was that I was not exhausted and disappointed, and I mean crushed, devastated, afterward. But there is definitely part of me that felt so wonderfully confident and empowered about birth, and I thought that person could do anything... I wonder if I could find that again. Or what if it goes south again. Anyway, thanks.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Healing from a traumatic birth experience is really hard, and I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this :( You could find that part of yourself again, but it would be best to start finding that now.

Do you have a local ICAN chapter? There is one in Indianapolis and one in Fort Wayne. Could you make it to either of those cities? The best thing about ICAN is that it's not JUST about trying to achieve VBAC, it's also about healing from a traumatic C-section, and the mother-to-mother support can be really helpful and empowering.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I suspect that your labor "expired." You are on a time limit from when you enter the hospital, particularly if your water is broken (24hrs).
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010